Higher education and employment history
Deirdre Wilson (Professor of Linguistics, University College London) is a British linguist and cognitive scientist. She was trained in philosophy at Oxford and linguistics at MIT, where she wrote her PhD under the supervision of Noam Chomsky. Currently Professor of Linguistics at University College London and a Fellow of the British Academy, she has been a Lecturer in Philosophy at Somerville College Oxford, Harkness Fellow in Linguistics and Philosophy at MIT, Visiting Research Professor at the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, and Invitation Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
Her main research interest is in pragmatics: her book Presuppositions and Non-Truth-Conditional Semantics (Academic Press, 1975) advocated a pragmatic approach to presuppositions, and her long-standing collaboration with Dan Sperber (e.g. Relevance: Communication and Cognition , Blackwell, 1986/95) has led to publications on a wide variety of pragmatic topics, from disambiguation and reference resolution to rhetoric and style. With Robyn Carston, she is currently completing a three-year research project on lexical pragmatics funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council of Great Britain. Her novel Slave of the Passions (Picador, 1991) was shortlisted for the Yorkshire Post First Work Award and the Angel Prize for Literature, and she is now working on a second.
- Wilson, Deirdre (2013). Irony comprehension: A developmental perspective. Journal of Pragmatics. ISSN 0378-2166. 59, s 40- 56 . doi: 10.1016/j.pragma.2012.09.016
- Chevallier, Coralie; Noveck, Ira; Happe, Francesca & Wilson, Deirdre (2011). What's in a voice? Prosody as a test case for the Theory of Mind account of autism. Neuropsychologia. ISSN 0028-3932. 49(3), s 507- 517 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2010.11.042
- Wilson, Deirdre (2011). Parallels and differences in the treatment of metaphor in relevance theory and cognitive linguistics. Intercultural Pragmatics. ISSN 1612-295X. 8(2), s 177- 196 . doi: 10.1515/IPRG.2011.009
- Chevallier, C.; Wilson, Deirdre; Happe, F & Noveck, I (2010). Scalar Inferences in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of autism and developmental disorders. ISSN 0162-3257. 40(9), s 1104- 1117 . doi: 10.1007/s10803-010-0960-8
- Sperber, Dan; Clement, Fabrice; Heintz, Christophe; Mascaro, Olivier; Mercier, Hugo; Origgi, Gloria & Wilson, Deirdre (2010). Epistemic Vigilance. Mind and language. ISSN 0268-1064. 25(4), s 359- 393
- Chevallier, C.; Noveck, I; Happe, F & Wilson, Deirdre (2009). From acoustics to grammar: Perceiving and interpreting grammatical prosody in adolescents with Asperger Syndrome. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. ISSN 1750-9467. 3(2), s 502- 516 . doi: 10.1016/j.rasd.2008.10.004
- Wilson, Deirdre & Sperber, Dan (2012). Meaning and Relevance. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521747486. 395 s.