Johan Emil Strang
My interests revolve around 20th century Nordic politics and society. They include history of philosophy, history of intellectuals, Nordic cooperation, transnational history, centres and peripheries, as well as conceptualizations of human rights and democracy in Scandinavia after WWII.
- During the autumn of 2017 I teach part time at the Centre for Nordic Studies, University of Helsinki
Trained as a philosopher, my 2010 dissertation discussed the establishment of the analytic hegemony in Swedish and Nordic philosophy from a historical and political perspective. Since then I have, among other things, been working with Nordic cooperation (Nordic cooperation: A European region in transition, 2016). I have also contributed to the discussion on transnational history with a small state perspective (Journal of the History of Ideas 2016, Contributions to conceptual history 2017).
- Guest researcher at UiO:Norden 2017-18
- University Lecturer at the Centre for Nordic Studies, University of Helsinki 2015-17
- Postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for Nordic Studies, University of Helsinki 2012-15
- Principal investigator and author of the report Nordic communities (commissioned by the Nordic Council) 2011-12
- Guest researcher at the Stein Rokkan Centre for Social Studies 2008-10
- Doctoral student at the department of philosophy & the Centre for Nordic Studies, University of Helsinki, ca 2004-10
- "Conceptual Universalization and the Role of the Peripheries" In : Contributions to the History of Concepts, 12, 1, 2017, p. 55-75 (co-authored with Stefan Nygård)
- Nordic Cooperation: A European region in transition (Abingdon: Routledge, 2016). 210 p. (Global Order Studies; vol. 8)
- "Facing asymmetry: Nordic intellectuals and center-periphery dynamics in European cultural space", Journal of the History of Ideas. 77, 1, p. 75-97 23 p (co-authored with Stefan Nygård)
- Tankens utåtvändhet: Georg Henrik von Wright som intellektuell, Helsingfors: Svenska litteratursällskapet i Finland, 2016. 279 p. (Skrifter utgivna av Svenska litteratursällskapet ; vol. 808), (co-edited with Thomas Wallgren)
- "The rhetoric of analytic philosophy: the making of the analytic hegemony in Swedish philosophy", Redescriptions, 16, 2013, pp 11-38.
- Nordiska Gemenskaper - en vision för samarbetet, Köpenhamn: Nordiska rådet, 2012
- Rhetoric of Nordic Democracy, Helsinki: SKS, 2010 (co-edited with Jussi Kurunmäki)
- History, Transfer, Politics: Five Studies on the Legacy of Uppsala Philosophy, Helsingin yliopisto, filosofian laitos. 294 p. (Philosophical Studies from the University of Helsinki; vol. 30) (dissertation)
- Strang, Johan Emil (2009). The Scandinavian value nihilists and the crisis of democracy in the 1930s and 40s. NORDEUROPAforum. ISSN 1863-639X. 19(1), s 37- 63
- Strang, Johan Emil (2009). Two generations of Scandinavian legal realists. Retfærd. Nordisk Juridisk Tidsskrift. ISSN 0105-1121. 32(1 = 124), s 62- 82
- Strang, Johan Emil (2007). Overcoming the rift between 'is' and 'ought' - Gunnar Myrdal and the philosophy of social engineering. Ideas in History. ISSN 1890-1832. 2(2), s 143- 177
- Strang, Johan Emil & Wallgren, Thomas (red.) (2016). Tankens utåtvändhet. Georg Henrik von Wright som intellektuell. Svenska litteratursällskapet i Finland (SLS). ISBN 9789515833563. 279 s.
- Strang, Johan Emil (2007). Editorial. Ideas in History. ISSN 1890-1832. 2(2), s 7- 8