My academic interests cover the archaeology and history of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea regions from the Bronze Age to the Roman Imperial period. My research focuses mainly on the ancient Greek world in the period from the Iron Age to Hellenistic times (ca. 1000-100 BC). I have a special interest in the study of ceramics and how the study of ancient consumption patterns can increase our knowledge about the social and cultural history of the ancient world. I also carry out research related to the meeting of cultures, mixed societies and cultural exchange with a particular emphasis on the Greek colonial environment of the western Mediterranean. I am currently the director of the archaeological excavations in the ancient Greek city of Kalydon in Aitolia in western Greece. The fieldwork focuses mainly on the excavation of a house of the Hellenistic period situated on the Lower Acropolis, but additional investigations of the Archaic city and the urban layout are also carried out. The work is undertaken in collaboration with the Ephorate of Antiquities of Aetolia-Acarnania and Lefkada and the Danish Institute at Athens.
In 2006 I obtained a MA in Classical Archaeology and Social Anthropology at Aarhus University, Denmark. In 2010 I received a PhD from the Centre for Black Sea Studies (Danish National Research Foundation's Centre of Excellence) at Aarhus University on the topic of the locally produced pottery in the ancient Greek colonies in the Black Sea region. I then held a postdoc fellowship at the Department of Classical Studies at the same university, until I moved to Athens in 2012 to take up the position as assistant director of the Danish Institute at Athens. I have participated in archaeological fieldwork in Denmark, Greece, Italy and Ukraine. I have been at Oslo University since August 2015.
- 2012-2015: Assistant Director, The Danish Institute at Athens
- 2010-2012: Postdoc fellowship, Department of Classical Studies, Aarhus University
- 2010: Research Assistant, Department of Classical Studies, Aarhus University
PartnersFollow me on Academia.edu
- Vikatou, Olympia & Handberg, Søren (2017). The Lower Acropolis of Kalydon in Aitolia: preliminary report on the excavations carried out in 2013-15. Proceedings of the Danish Institute at Athens. ISSN 1108-149X. 8, s 191- 206
- Winther-Jacobsen, Kristina; Frederiksen, Rune & Handberg, Søren (2017). Celebrating 25 years of archaeological research at the Danish Institute at Athens. Proceedings of the Danish Institute at Athens. ISSN 1108-149X. 8, s 7- 22
- Crudo, Maurizio; D’Andrea, Maria; Handberg, Søren; Mittica, Gloria; De Francesco, Anna Maria; Andaloro, Eliana & Kindberg Jacobsen, Jan (2016). L’abitato enotrio di Timpone della Motta (Cs): culture a confronto, relazioni e scambi. FORUM ROMANUM BELGICUM. ISSN 2295-9432. 13, s 1- 22
- Handberg, Søren; Jacobsen, Jan Kindberg; Colelli, Carmelo & Mittica, Gloria (2015). Pottery Workshop Organization and Transformation at the Archaeological Site of Timpone della Motta between 800 and 650 BC: a case study from Northern Calabria, Southern Italy, In R. Gül Gürtekin-Demir; Hüseyin Cevizoğlu; Yasemin Polat & Gürcan Polat (ed.), Keramos. Ceramics: a cultural approach. Proceedings of the First International Conference at Ege University, May 9-13, 2011 İzmir. Bilgin Kültür Sanat. ISBN 978-605-85730-4-8. 13. s 158 - 165
- Handberg, Søren; Jacobsen, Jan Kindberg; Ippolito, Francesca & Mittica, Gloria Paola (2015). Greek and Greek Style Pottery in the Sibaritide during the 8th Century BC., In Giulia Saltini Semerari & Gert-Jan Burgers (ed.), Early Iron Age Communities of Southern Italy. Papers of the Royal Netherlands Institute in Rome. ISBN 978-88-6060-689-1. Part III: Territory. s 151 - 175
- Winther-Jacobsen, Kristina; Frederiksen, Rune & Handberg, Søren (ed.) (2017). Proceedings of the Danish Institute at Athens, volume VIII. Aarhus Universitetsforlag. ISBN 9788771841480. 324 s.
- Handberg, Søren & Poulsen, Birte (red.) (2016). Antikkens Håndværk. Forlaget Orbis. ISBN 978-87-997908-4-5. 304 s.
- Handberg, Søren (2017). Arkæologiske udgravninger på Kalydons Nedre Akropol. Beretninger 2015-2016, 30-36 .
- Handberg, Søren (2016). Fra lergrube til krukke. Pottemagertraditionen i det antikke Grækenland., I: Søren Handberg & Birte Poulsen (red.), Antikkens Håndværk. Forlaget Orbis. ISBN 978-87-997908-4-5. Kapitel 2. s 47 - 74
- Handberg, Søren & Poulsen, Birte (2016). Introduktion, I: Søren Handberg & Birte Poulsen (red.), Antikkens Håndværk. Forlaget Orbis. ISBN 978-87-997908-4-5. Introduktion. s 6 - 7
- Handberg, Søren (2015). Kalydon: An Ancient Greek City in Aitolia.
- Handberg, Søren (2015). TEGEA I: Investigations in the Temple of Athena Alea 1991-94 & TEGEA II: Investigations in the Sanctuary of Athena Alea 1990-94 and 2004. (Papers and Monographs from the Norwegian Institute at Athens, vol. 3-4). Erik Østby (red.). Athens 2014.. Klassisk Forum. ISSN 0801-3179. 2015(1), s 72- 76
- Handberg, Søren (2015). Tegea I-II, Investigations in the temple and sanctuary of Athena Alea at Tegea 1990-1994: en presentasjon og faglig vurdering.