Jarle Simensen – Curriculum Vitae
Education and Degrees
- Examen artium: Eidsvoll landsgymnas 1956.
- Russian course of the Norwegian Army 1956-58.
- Balliol College, Oxford, Anderson Norwegian Scholar, 1958-59.
- Cand. philol., University of Oslo 1966 (History, English and Russian)
- Doctor Philosophiae, University of Trondheim 1976.
- Research Assistant, Department of History, University of Oslo 1965-67.
- Research Fellow, Norwegian Research Council and Institute of Social Research, Oslo 1968-1973.
- Associate Professor, University of Trondheim 1973.
- Professor, University of Trondheim,1980-2004.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of History, University of Oslo, 1996-
- Research Professor, The History of Norwegian Development Aid, Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo, 1998-2002.
- Member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters (Det Kongelige Norske Videnskapers Selskab), Trondheim, 1982.
- Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, (Det Norske Videnskaps-Adademi) Oslo, 1995, leader of the history section 2002-.
- Honorary Plaque and Citation, Restoration of Kyebi Palace Archives, Akyem, Ghana 2004.
- President for international affairs, Norwegian National Union of Students, 1960-61.
- Founding member and Secretary of the International Academic Aid Fund (“Studentenes og Akademikernes Internasjonale Hjelpefond”, SAIH), 1961-1963.
- Member of the Norwegian National Commission for UNESCO, 1964-68.
- Editor of the series “Orion Utsyn”, Det Norske Samlaget, 1965-1970.
- Member of the Council of the Norwegian World Federalist Movement, “Én Verden”, 2002
- Member of the Steering Committee for the Nordic Conference on Historical Method, 1974- 1979.
- Member of the Research Council of the Norwegian Agency for International Development (NORAD), 1976-1980.
- Chairman of the Department of History, University of Trondheim 1978-79.
- Norwegian editor, Scandinavian Journal of History, 1980-84.
- Member of the Council of the Norwegian Agency for International Development, 1985-87.
- Member of the Humanities section of the Norwegian Research Council, 1982-90, Central Board member 1990-92.
- Chairman of the Norwegian Historians' Association, 1989-90.
- Pro-Rector of the University of Trondheim 1989-1992.
- Member of the Steering Committee for The History of Norwegian Foreign Policy (1992-1997).
- Permanent Consultant to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, 1997-.
- Member of the Nordic Research Committee for International Politics and Peace Research, 1973-78.
- Member of the Fontes Historiae Africanae Committee of the International Academic Union, 1974-78.
- Member of the organizing committee for the European Science Council programme "Expansion of European Law",
- Norwegian Research Council for the Humanities: Responsible for the establishment of the exchange agreement with Maison des sciences de l’homme,
Paris, 1984 and of the German-Norwegian Scholarship and Exchange Programme (Ruhrgas)1985.Chairman of the Steering Committee of the German-Norwegian History Programme (Ruhrgas) 1985-1990, Board member 1995-2000.
- Initiator and coordinator of the Programme of history cooperation Trondheim-Legon, Ghana 1991 (Norwegian Universities’ Aid Programme, NUFU).
- Initiator and coordinator of the Programme of cooperation Trondheim-University of Durban, Westville, 1994 (Norwegian Universities’ Aid Programme, NUFU).
- Visiting Professor, Maison de sciences de l’homme, Paris, 1986.
- Visiting scholar, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA, 1981-82, 1988-89, 1995-96.
- Guest lecturer, University of Xingdao, China, October 2003.
University of Oslo Home address:
Department of History Tuengveien 24
P.O.Box 1008, Blindern 0374 Oslo
Tel: - 47 22855050 Tel: - 47 22137102
Fax:- 47 22855278 Mobile: 99226350