My PhD project is part of the NFR funded project ‘After the Black Death: Painting and Polychrome Sculpture in Norway, 1350‒1550’, which aims to generate scientific knowledge about a collection of late-medieval liturgical objects owned by the Museum of Cultural History (KHM), University of Oslo.
The project is entitled "Reconstructing narratives for late-medieval sculptures", and involves object-based case studies of late medieval polychrome sculptures that are in a fragmentary and changed state. Their material investigation will provide an understanding of the objects’ structure and how they have changed over time, including previous appearances, uses, function and context.
The research project argues for the conservator’s role as mediator in reading and giving meaning to fragmentary material evidence by means of suitable modes of interpretation, which will allow the decontextualized objects to once again be accessible to a variety of users.
2009 - 2015 Conservation and Collections Management, Asiarta Foundation and Witness Collection, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2006 - 2008 MA Conservation of Fine Art (Easel Paintings), University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK
2003 - 2006 BA History of Art, University of Birmingham, UK
- Ebert, Bettina (2017). A skewed balance?: Examining the display and research history of the medieval collection at the Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo. Journal of the History of Collections. ISSN 0954-6650. . doi: /10.1093/jhc/fhx021
- Ebert, Bettina (2017). Composite wainscot block construction in medieval sculptures: A question of quality?, In Janet Bridgland (ed.), ICOM-CC 18th Triennial Conference Preprints, Copenhagen 4-8 September 2017, Linking Past and Future. International Council of Museums, ICOM. ISBN 978-92-9012-426-9. article 1703. Fulltekst i vitenarkiv.
- Ebert, Bettina & Schilling, Michael R. (2016). A technical analysis of paint media used in twentieth-century Vietnamese lacquer paintings. Studies in Conservation. ISSN 0039-3630. 61, s 52- 67 . doi: 10.1080/00393630.2016.1227051 Fulltekst i vitenarkiv.
- Osmond, Gillian; Ebert, Bettina & Drennan, John (2014). Zinc oxide centred deterioration in 20th century Vietnamese paintings by Nguyễn Trọng Kiệm (1933-1991). AICCM Bulletin. ISSN 1034-4233. 34, s 3- 14
- Ebert, Bettina; Singer, Brian & Grimaldi, Nicky (2012). Aquazol as a consolidant for matte paint on Vietnamese paintings. Journal of the Institute of Conservation. ISSN 1945-5224. 35(1), s 62- 76
- Ebert, Bettina; Macmillan Armstrong, Sally; Singer, Brian & Grimaldi, Nicky (2011). Analysis and conservation treatment of Vietnamese paintings, In Janet Bridgland (ed.), ICOM CC 16th Treiennial Conference Lisbon 19-23 September 2011, Preprints. Criterio. ISBN 9789899752207. Paper.
- Ebert, Bettina (2014). Conservation issues relating to North Vietnamese artist practice during the twentieth century. Studies in Conservation. ISSN 0039-3630. 59, s S211- S212
- Ebert, Bettina & Schilling, Michael (2014). The analysis of complex modern Vietnamese lacquer paintings. Studies in Conservation. ISSN 0039-3630. 59, s S36- S39
- Ebert, Bettina (2013). Asiarta Foundation and Vietnamese lacquer painting.
- Ebert, Bettina & Schilling, Michael (2013). Scientific investigation of paint samples from Vietnamese lacquer paintings.
- Ebert, Bettina & Schilling, Michael (2012). Vietnamese Lacquer Painting.