I am interested in language history, especially that of (late) Latin: I find the transition phase between Latin and the Romance languages fascinating. My special field is the diachronic syntax and semantics of late Latin documentary texts. The research data consist of early medieval private documents, i.e. charters, written in a rather non-standard Latin on parchment in Tuscany of the 8th and 9th centuries AD. I utilize selected computer-assisted methods, such as treebanking and network visualization, which I seek to adjust to the needs of historical linguistics. Although I focus on charter Latin, I am looking forward to revealing more general tendencies about how the language change taking place in the spoken language is reflected in written code. This means taking quantitatively into account diachronic, diatopic, and diastratic perspectives as well as the idiosyncracies of individual scribes of the charters. Along with linguistic questions, I am also very much in the medieval diplomatics and manuscript studies as well as old history and literature in general.
I have studied Latin, ancient Greek, Italian, general linguistics, and medieval history at the universities of Jyväskylä and Helsinki, Finland. My Master's degree is from Latin at the University of Jyväskylä. After that, I carried out my doctoral studies at the University of Helsinki, where I defended my PhD thesis titled "Subject Case in the Latin of Tuscan Charters of the 8th and 9th Centuries" in January 2016. I had the honour to work as the Wihuri Foundation fellow at the Finnish Institute in Rome in 2011–2012 and as a doctoral trainee in the Finnish Doctoral School Langnet in 2012–2014. In 2007–2008, I completed the Diplôme Européen d'Études Médiévales (FIDEM) in Rome.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2017). Spelling variation in historical text corpora: The case of early medieval documentary Latin. Digital Scholarship in the Humanities. ISSN 2055-7671.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Morphosyntactic realignment and markedness change in Late Latin: Evidence from charter texts. Pallas. ISSN 0031-0387. 102, s 287- 296
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Subject Case in the Latin of Tuscan Charters of the 8th and 9th Centuries. Societas Scientiarum Fennica. ISBN 978-951-653-412-4. 276 s.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Latinan kieli antiikin hämäristä nykypäivän romaanisiin kieliin.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Scribes and Late Latin Charters: a treebank-based study of the language competence of scribes.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Spoken Language behind Written Texts: Treebanking Medieval Latin Charters.
- Korkiakangas, Timo (2016). Transitivity and subject case selection in the Late Latin charter genre.