Philosophy and History of Ideas
The philosophy of mind and language and the theory and philosophy of science are main areas of research in the recently initiated Centre of Excellence, the Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature (CSMN). The theory of science seen in a historical perspective is a project within the field of history of ideas.
Ethics and theories of normativity are other important areas of research, partly within CSMN, but above all through The Ethics Programme – an interdisciplinary and cross-faculty programme administered from the Department. Ethics from an historical point of view is the topic of The Oslo Happiness Project, which is conducted in cooperation between scholars of Greek and Philosophy.
Research projects in Philosophy
- Addiction, Choice & Responsible Agency (CSMN)
- Genetic Causation and Genetic Information in a Systems Biology Framework
- Metonymy in Context and Communication
- Philosophical Foundations for Systems Biology
- Plurals, Predicates and Paradox (ERC Starting Grants Research Project)
- Responding to Global Poverty (CSMN)
- Responding to Local Poverty (CSMN)
- Revision of Conceptions of Moral Responsibility and free action
- The Metaphysics of Reductions and Causal Explanations in Biological Sciences
- The Oslo Happiness Project
- The Place of Psychological Facts in Moral Theory
- Who owns it?