Claus Peter Zoller
Hindi literature and linguistics, languages of the Western Himalayas and North Pakistan, performance traditions of North India and Pakistan, Romani linguistics.
Higher education and employment history
Selection of projects:
The Hindi Database Project: http://www.hf.uio.no/ikos/forskning/forskningsprosjekter/zoller/index.html
Romanifolkets språk: http://www.hf.uio.no/ikos/forskning/forskningsprosjekter/zoller/romani/index.html
Bangani and languages of north-west South Asia
A grammar of Indus Kohistani (North Pakistan)
A collection of fairy tales from Indus Kohistan (North Pakistan)
Study of classical and modern Indology, anthropology and German studies
PhD with a thesis on an Indo-Tibetan border language
Habilitation with a thesis on language and stylistics of a Himalayan oral epic
Employment as assistant and then associate professor at the Universities of Heidelberg and Frankfurt
Representative of the Heidelberg South Asia Institute in New Delhi
Several scholarships and research projects in India and Pakistan funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and by the German Research Foundation (DFG)
South Asia Institute, University of Heidelberg
Department of Indology, University of Würzburg
South Asia Institute, University of Texas in Austin
Computational Linguistics R & D, Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, Jawahar Lal Nehru University, New Delhi
Department of Linguistics, Delhi University, Delhi
National School of Drama, New Delhi
Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi,
Doon Library & Research Centre, Dehra Dun (India)
- 2010. Aspects of the Early History of Romani. Acta Orientalia 2010: 71, 243-312.
- 2009. Genitive Marking of Subjects in West Pahari. Acta Orientalia 2008:69, 121-151.
- 2007. Is Bangani a V2 Language? European Bulletin of Himalayan Research 2007:31, 83-141.
- 2007. Himalayan Heroes. In Brückner, Heidrun, Hugh van Skyhawk and Claus Peter Zoller (eds.), The Concept of Hero in Indian Culture; pp. 237-274. New Delhi: Manohar.
- 2005. A Grammar and Dictionary of Indus Kohistani. Volume 1: Dictionary. Trends in Linguistics, Documentation 21-1. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2004. Kabir and ritualized language. Acta Orientalia 2004:65, 33-68.
- 2001. On the relationship between folk and classical traditions in South Asia. European Bulletin of Himalayan Research 2001:20-1, 77-104.
- 1999. An Indian myth on the creation of death and life. In Schömbucher, Elisabeth and Claus Peter Zoller (eds.), Ways of Dying: Death and its meanings in South Asia; pp. 205-232. New Delhi: Manohar.
- 1999. 'My mother an Apsara, the father a Kshatriya, my uncle the son of a Gandharva': Humour in the oral poetry of the Himalaya. In Oesterheld, Christina and Claus Peter Zoller (eds.), Of Clowns and Gods, Brahmans and Babus: Humour in South Asian Literatures; pp. 169-181. New Delhi: Manohar.
- 1997 Heroic Ballads and the Biography of a Woman: On Coping with Conflicts in the Western Garhwal Himalaya. In Stellrecht, Irmtraud and Matthias Winiger (eds.), Perspectives on History and Change in the Karakorum, Hindukush, and Himalaya; pp. 473-497. Köln: Rüdiger Köppe Verlag.