Sami Al Daghistani
Islamic intellectual history, economic tradition in Islam, legal discourse, Islamization of knowledge, Islam and modernity, ecological economics.
Sami achieved a double-PhD in Islamic Studies at Leiden University and WWU Münster (degree to be conferred in November 2017), a Research MA in Middle Eastern Studies from Leiden University (2013), and a BA major in both Sociology and Comparative Literature from University of Ljubljana (2011). Since 2015, he has been a Visiting Scholar at the Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian and African Studies (MESAAS) and at the Institute for Religion, Culture, and Public Life (IRCPL) at Columbia University, working under the supervision of Professor Wael Hallaq. In 2014 he was a graduate exchange student in Islamic Studies at the Institute for Islamic Studies at McGill University in Montreal. Previously he studied Islamic Studies and Arabic in Rabat (2012), Cairo (2011), and Sarajevo (2010).
Sami has published numerous articles on the intellectual history of Islamic economics and law, and edited two volumes on the Second Gulf War (2010), and on Middle Eastern culture and politics (2013). Recently, he published two book translations from Arabic to Slovenian - Ibn Battuta's Rihla and Ibn Tufayl's Hay ibn Yaqzan (both 2017). His two monographs on Abu Hamid al-Ghazali's economic philosophy, and on the history of economic tradition in Islam are forthcoming in 2018.
Commencing in 2017, Sami will be a Research Fellow at IKOS, at the University of Oslo, and a Research Scholar at IRCPL at Columbia University. Sami's research and teaching focuses on Islamic intellectual history, economic thought in Islamic tradition, legal discourse, Islamization process, and ecological economics.
Lecturer, Leiden University Center for the Study of Religion (LUCSoR), Leiden University (2014-2015)
Research Fellow at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages (IKOS), University of Oslo (Fall 2017-present)
Research Scholar at the Institute for Religion, Culture, and Public Life (IRCPL), Columbia University (Fall 2017-present)
2013 - 2017 Double PhD (Co-tutelle) in Islamic Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands and WWU Münster, Germany. Supervisors: Maurits Berger, Marco Schöller, Wael Hallaq (MESAAS, Columbia University). Degree to be conferred in November, 2017
2015 - 2017 Visiting Scholar in Islamic Studies at the Middle Eastern, South Asian and African Studies Department (MESAAS) and at the Institute for Religion, Culture, and Public Life (IRCPL), Columbia University. Supervisor: Professor Wael Hallaq
Jan - May 2014 Ph.D. Graduate Exchange at the Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University, Montreal. Mentor: Professor Ahmed Ibrahim. Courses: "Islamic Legal Discourses" (Level 716), "Central Questions in Islamic Law," "Higher Intermediate Arabic"
2011 - 2013 Research MA, Area Studies: Asia and the Middle East. Field: Middle Eastern Studies, Leiden University. Thesis: "Imam al-Ghazali's Perspectives on Economy, Ethics, and State in Islam" (graded with 9.0 / 10)
Jun - Aug 2012 Certificate of Advance Level of Modern Standard Arabic. Université Mohammed V Souissi - Faculté des Sciences de l'Education, Rabat, Morocco. Arabic Language and Culture Program (Language Acquisition of 108 working hours of Arabic Language)
2005 - 2011 BA, Double-Mayor (4 + 1), Comparative Literature and Sociology of Culture, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, (grade average 9.4 / 10)
Feb - Jun 2011 Merkaz Dawd, Cairo, Egypt. Certificate of Arabic Language Acquisition (Level 1 - 4) and Tajwīd
Feb - Aug 2010 Undergraduate, Faculty of Islamic Studies, University of Sarajevo. Courses: Shi'a kelam and Sufism; Classical Islamic Philosophy; Arabic language; Turkish language
2007 - 2008 Erasmus exchange, Faculty of Social Sciences and Faculty of Humanities, Utrecht, The Netherlands. Courses: Cultural Studies; Cultural diversity and Identity; Philosophy of Knowledge
At Leiden University
- Fiqh and Usul al-fiqh - Methodology of Islamic Jurisprudence (BA)
- Islamic Ethics (BA)
- Lecturer at Leiden Islam Academy (Islamic Ethics; Islamic Economics)
Conference convener with Professor Maurits Berger, "Greening Islam", Striking the balance between social justice, economic restructuring and ecological renewal, "LUCSOR / LUCIS, Leiden University (forthcoming 2018)
Conference organizer with George Audi Bajalia, Kristin Soraya Batmanghelichi, Walid Hammam, and Columbia Global Centers, "Pluralism in Emergenc (i) es: Movement, Space, and Religious Difference," IRCPL, Columbia University; New York, Amman, Tunis (forthcoming, December 2017 and April 2018)
Conference organizer with Walid Hammam, Kristin Soraya Batmanghelichi and Columbia Global Centers, "Populism in the Middle East", IRCPL, Columbia University; New York, Amman, Paris (forthcoming 2018-2019)
- At IKOS: GreenMENA
- At IRCPL: Pluralism in Emergencies; Populism in the Middle East; Knowledge, ecology, and economic traditions in Islam
- Zois Scholarship for Talented Students for Double-Major BA Degree in Sociology of Culture, and Comparative Literature, 2006-2011
- Slovene Human Resource, Development, and Scholarship Fund: Grant for Language Acquisition in BA Studies at Markez Dawd, Cairo, Egypt, March - July 2010
- Ad Futura, Slovene Human Resource, Development, and Scholarship Fund: Full Scholarship and Tuition fee Waiver for the Research MA in Middle East Studies at Leiden University, 1st September 2011 - 31st August 2013
- Basileus Mobility Project: Full Scholarship for MA in Arabic Language and Culture at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Sarajevo (2011 - 2013) ( declined )
- Travel grant for NEPAS Project, University of Minho - Braga, Portugal, Summer School on Democratization and Political Transitions in the Arab World: Actors, Challenges, and Policy Options for the EU, (16 th - 19 th July 2013)
- LUSTRA Travel Grant for Arabic Language Acquisition in Rabat, Leiden University (June - August 2012)
- Outbound Study Grant, Leiden University Funds, Curator Funds, Leiden University: Grant for graduate exchange program at McGill University (January - May)
- Full Scholarships for PhD in Islamic Studies (2013-2017)
- Leiden University Funds, Leiden University, PhD research grant for MESAAS, Columbia University
English: Fluent (Research MA and PhD thesis in English language)
German: High Proficiency (German Language Acquisition Course in Double-Mayor BA, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana 2006; C1 Language Center Leiden University, 18th November 2013)
Arabic: advanced (Language Acquisition Courses in Sarajevo 2010, Cairo 2011, Leiden 2011-2013, Rabat 2012; McGill 2014; passed advance level of MSA)
Dutch: basic fluency (Level 2, Language Center Leiden University, 14th November 2013)
French: Basic Fluency A1 (Language Acquisition Course, Sarajevo, 2011; Higher Beginners Course, January-April 2014, PGSS, McGill, Montreal)
Turkish: Basic Fluency A1 (Language Acquisition Course "Istanbul" Center, Sarajevo, 2010)
Bulgarian: intermediate speaking knowledge (no official course)
Edited volume with Marta Gregorčič, PhD, Osvobajanje Iraka (Liberating Iraq), Ljubljana: ČKZ, 2010
Edited volume with Prof. Mirt Komel and Prof. Primož Šterbenc, Islam in Bližnji vzhodi (Islam and the Middle Easts), Ljubljana: ČKZ, 2013
Pesem, islam, ljubezen - študij, zapiski in pričevanja o poeziji, revoluciji in islamu ("Poetry, Islam, Love - Studies, Notes and Testimonies on Poetry, Revolution and Islam) (forthcoming 2018)
Abu Hamid al-Ghazali's Economic Teachings between Sufism and Sharī'a (forthcoming 2018)
The Making of Islamic Economics: Epistemological Inquiry into Islam's Moral Economic Teaching, Legal Discourse, and Islamization Process (forthcoming 2018)
Ibn Baṭṭūta: Riḥla. Introduction and translation from Arabic to Slovenian, Ljubljana: Skodelica kave, FDV, University of Ljubljana, March 2017.
Scientific articles and bookchapters
Ali bin Abi Talib, "Opis raja"; Ibn Ṭufayl, Hay ibn Yaqẓān "; Badr Shakr al-Sayyab," Pesem o dežju "; Together with Nabil Al-Daghistani), p. 158-175 (translated from Arabic two Slovenian), Literary Magazine Otočje: Islam in Slovenian (" Islam and Literature "), pp. 253, No. 8, 2013, Slovenia
Maurits S. Berger: "Western and Islamic Concepts of Religious Tolerance", translated from English to Slovenian, Journal of the Critique of Science: Islam and the Middle Easts , September 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Enes Karić: "Muslims, Christians and Jews Today - Neighborhood in the Era of Globalization", translated from Bosnian to Slovenian, Journal of the Critique of Science: Islam and the Middle Easts , September 2013, Ljubljana, Slovenia
"Razpotja," št. 22, 2016. Sami Al-Daghistani, Nasilje ali duhovni zakon ?
KUD-LOGOS, International Journal of Postsecular Theoria, Poiesis, and Praxis. Http://kud-logos.si/tag/islam/ Editor: Matic Kocijančič, Contact: email@example.com
- Online publication of the MA research paper: 6th of January 2013. "Coffee appraised: Ambiguity of socio-legal disputes, medical and literary accounts on coffee in Medieval Islam," Leiden University, Research Master: Area Studies, Middle East Studies, MA Seminar : Culture and Society in Medieval Islam, Professor Dr. Petra Sijpesteijn
- Online publication of the MA research paper: 1st July 2013. "Ethics and Economy in Islam: Contribution of Imam Al Ghazali in Focus," Leiden University, Research Master: Middle East Studies, MA Seminar (Dr. Mohamed Ghaly): Interpreting Islam: Ijtihad, economics and bioethics in Islam
- Online publication of the MA research paper: 26th June 2013. "Multiplicity of the Text: History of the Arabic language and the humanistic approach of the Qur'an". MA seminar: Arabic historical grammar, Mentor: Dr. Ahmed Jallad, Leiden University
- Kud Logos, September 2015, "Šerijat ali islamsko pravo? Pravni Diskurz Islamic Tradicije" / "Shari'a or Islamic Law? The Legal Discourse of Islamic Tradition"
Leiden Islam Blog, LUCIS
- "The interaction between ethics and economics in the work of Imam al-Ghazali," 17th September 2013.
- "Beyond Sunni vs. Shia - not sectarianism but systematic violence," 24 July 2014.
Leiden Religion Blog, "Re-readings of Islamic Economic Philosophy and Economic Justice in an Islamic Environment," July 13, 2015.
Air Beletrina, "Islam yesterday and today: Reflections from within" (Islam včeraj in danes: Prebliski od znotraj), 18.April 2011, Cairo.