Anna L. Ahlers
China's political system
Local administration, policy implementation and governance in China
Rural transformation and urbanization in China
Greater China, notions of "Chineseness"
Political inclusion and exclusion
Comparative research on authoritarianism
KIN1500 "Samfunn og politikk i Kina / Society and Politics in China" (H 2015, 2017)
KIN4520 Topics in Chinese Society and Politics 1: “Corruption. Global problem, ‘Chinese characteristics’?” (H 2014), "Selected Trends in Current Chinese Politics: Power centralization, internal security, outward assertiveness" (H 2016), ”China’s Eco-environmental Challenges and Society’s Responses” (H 2017)
KIN4530 Topics in Chinese Ideas and Ideologies: "Welfare and Social Policy in Greater China: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives" (V 2017)
2014- Associate Professor in Modern Chinese Society and Politics, University of Oslo
2013-2014 Deputy director of the research group "Politics and International Affairs", Mercator Institute for China Studies (Merics), Berlin
2013 Postdoctoral fellow, Forum Internationale Wissenschaft (FIW), Department of Comparative Research on Democracies, University of Bonn
2013 Ph.D. (Dr. phil.) in China Studies, University of Tübingen
2011-2012 Doctoral fellow (grant), Institute of Political Science at Academia Sinica (IPSAS), Taipei
2008-2013 Junior lecturer and researcher, Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies, Greater China Studies, University of Tübingen
2007-2008 Greater China assistant to the CEO in a strategy consultancy bureau, Frankfurt
2007 M.A. in Sinology and Political Science (International Relations), University of Tübingen
2006-2007 Hermann Hesse scholarship, Renmin University of China
Member, Junge Akademie - Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities and the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina (since June 2017)
Senior Policy Fellow for Chinese Domestic Politics, Mercator Institute for China Studies (Merics)
Visiting Research Fellow, Environmental & Energy Policy Center, Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China)
2014: Rural Policy Implementation in Contemporary China: New Socialist Countryside. London: Routledge.
2012 (with Gunter Schubert): Participation and Empowerment at the Grassroots - Chinese Village Elections in Perspective. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
Selected peer-reviewed articles and other publications:
forthcoming 2018 (with Shen Yongdong): "Breathe Easy? Local Nuances of Authoritarian Environmentalism in China’s Battle against Air Pollution", The China Quarterly.
forthcoming 2017: invited book review - "Ma Jun, 'The Economics of Air Pollution in China: Achieving Better and Cleaner Growth', New York: Columbia University Press, 2017", The China Quarterly.
2017 (with Rudolf Stichweh): "The Bipolarity of Democracy and Authoritarianism: Value Patterns, Inclusion Roles and Forms of Internal Differentiation of Political Systems", FIW Working Paper, no. 9.
2017 (with Mette Halskov Hansen): "Air Pollution: How Will China Win its Self-Declared War Against it?" in Eva Sternfeld (ed.) Routledge Handbook of Environmental Policy in China. London: Routledge, 83-96.
2016 (with Yu Jianxing): Comment on "What Does Xi Jinping’s Top-Down Leadership Mean for Innovation in China?" in Asia Society (ed.) ChinaFile Conversation (blog) - 26. October, New York.
2016 (with Matthias Stepan): "Local Politics in Times of Political Centralisation: Top-level Design and Local-level Paralysis", in Sebastian Heilmann and Matthias Stepan (eds.), China's Core Executive: Policies, Structures and Processes under Xi Jinping. Berlin: MERICS Paper on China, no. 1, pp 34-39.
2016 (with Mette Halskov Hansen): “Kinas Luftforurensning – Kimen til sosial og politisk forandring?” (China’s air pollution: Seed of social and political change?) in Norsk Klimastiftelse (Norwegian Climate Foundation) (ed.) Kinas Grønne Revolusjon. Oslo: NKS Rapport no. 4, pp. 23-26.
2016 (with Thomas Heberer and Gunter Schubert): "Whither Local Governance in Contemporary China? Reconfiguration for More Effective Policy Implementation", Journal of Chinese Governance, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 55-77.
2015: "How the Sky over the Ruhr Became Blue Again. Or: A German Researcher’s Optimism about China’s Opportunities to Tackle the Problem of Air Pollution", essay, Chinese translation (鲁尔区“变回蓝天”对北京的启示) published in《小康》Xiaokang (Insight China), no. 23, November; online: http://news.hexun.com/2015-11-08/180421063.html.
2015 (with Gunter Schubert): "Effective Policy Implementation in China’s Local State", Modern China, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 372- 405.
2015: "Weaving the Chinese Dream on the Ground? Local Government Approaches to 'New-Typed' Rural Urbanization", Journal of Chinese Political Science, vol. 20, no.2, pp. 121-142.
2014: "Lokales Regieren und administrative Interessenvermittlung in China", in Hubert Heinelt (ed.), Modernes Regieren in China. Baden-Baden: Nomos, pp. 89-115.
2013 (with Gunter Schubert): "Strategic Modelling: ‚Building of a New Socialist Countryside‘ in Three Chinese Counties", The China Quarterly, no. 216, pp. 831-849.
2012 (with Gunter Schubert): "County and Township Cadres as a Strategic Group: ‚Building a New Socialist Countryside‘ in Three Provinces" in The China Journal, no. 67, pp. 67-86.
2011 (with Gunter Schubert): "’Adaptive Authoritarianism’ in Contemporary China: Identifying Zones of Legitimacy Building" in Deng Zhenglai und Guo Sujian (eds), Reviving Legitimacy: Lessons for and from China. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, pp. 61-81.
2009 (with Gunter Schubert): "Building a New Socialist Countryside – Only a Political Slogan?", Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 35-62.
2006: "Environmental Mediation" in Suwit Laohasiriwong and Ang Ming-Chee (eds), Natural Resources Related Conflict Management in Southeast Asia. Khon Kaen: Siriphan Press, pp. 223-239.
submitted (with Rudolf Stichweh): "Global Lines of Democracy and Autocracy: Studying Political Inclusion in World Society". In Andreas Leutzsch (ed.), After the Leviathan? About the Creation of Global Lines of Politics and Polity After the Age of Extremes.
submitted (with Gunter Schubert): "Elections and Post-election Governance in China’s Villages and Townships". In Heather Xiaoquan Zhang and Qian Forrest Zhang (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Rural China. London: Routledge.
submitted: "让蓝天重新绽放：德国鲁尔区的空气污染与治理" (Let a blue sky shine again: Air pollution governance in the German Ruhr area). In Liu Zhaohui (ed.), 空气污染启示录 (Captivating accounts of air pollution), Beijing: Sanlian Press.
submitted (with Gunter Schubert): "Local Cadre Elites and Policy Implementation in Contemporary China". In Yingjie Guo (ed.) Local Elites in Post-Mao China. London: Routledge.
- Hansen, Mette Halskov & Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2017). Air Pollution: How Will China Win its Self-Declared War Against it? , In Eva Sternfeld (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Environmental Policy in China. Routledge. ISBN 1138831115. kapittel.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2016). Whither Local Governance in Contemporary China? Reconfiguration for More Effective Policy Implementation. Journal of Chinese Governance. ISSN 2381-2346. 1(1), s 55- 77 . doi: 10.1080/23812346.2016.1138700
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2015). Weaving the Chinese Dream on the Ground? Local Government Approaches to “New-Typed” Rural Urbanization. Journal of Chinese Political Science. ISSN 1080-6954. 20(2), s 121- 142 . doi: 10.1007/s11366-015-9342-6
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa & Schubert, Gunter (2015). Effective Policy Implementation in China's Local State. Modern China. ISSN 0097-7004. 41(4), s 372- 405 . doi: 10.1177/0097700413519563
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2014). Rural Policy Implementation in Contemporary China. New Socialist Countryside. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-71846-2. 272 s.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2016, 14. november). "Kina kommer til å legge press på Trump", Tor Arne Andreassen. Aftenposten.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2016, 26. oktober). What Does Xi Jinping’s Top-Down Leadership Mean for Innovation in China? (med Yu Jianxing). [Internett]. ChinaFile Conversation.
- Hansen, Mette Halskov & Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2016). Kinas luftforurensning – kimen til sosial og politisk forandring? . Energi og Klima : Norsk klimastiftelses nettmagasin.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2015). 鲁尔区“变回蓝天”对北京的启示 (Title of English version: "How the Sky over the Ruhr Became Blue Again - Or: A German researcher’s optimism about China’s opportunities to tackle the problem of air pollution"). 小康 Xiaokang (Insight China). ISSN 1672-4879. (23)
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2014, 30. september). Beijing strammer grepet. Dagsavisen.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2014, 29. september). Hongkong: Proteste der Studenten in China - Im Zeichen des Regenschirms. [Radio]. detektor fm - internet radio.
- Ahlers, Anna Lisa (2014, 28. oktober). Krever å få møte Kinas statsminister. I et hav av paraplyer ble det i dag servert et nytt krav fra demonstrantene Hongkong: Samtaler med Li Keqiang. [Internett]. NRK.