Practical information regarding submitting your master's thesis at the Deparment of Media and Communication.
The thesis can be handed in at any time, but you are only guaranteed examination in the same semester if you hand it in before the following deadlines:
- 10 November (autumn semester)
- 10 May (spring semester)
To-do-list when submitting your thesis:
- submit your thesis as a pdf in DUO. Remember to print and fill in two forms from DUO !
- submit your thesis for printing at the University Print Centre. Read more about printing.
- write an e-mail to info(at)media.uio.no, informing us that your thesis is submitted.
The department does NOT consider your thesis as submitted within the deadline if the three tasks above are not performed.
To-do-list within a week from the deadline:
- submit 5 printed copies of your thesis to the Department of Media and Communication.
- print and fill in two forms from DUO: Receipt for submitted student thesis and Declaration form-Compulsory personal statement. Both forms must be submitted with your thesis.
- print and fill in a submission form (pdf) and submit it with your thesis
- the thesis must be submitted at the reception of the Department of Media and Communication before 15.30.
Please note: The department does NOT consider your thesis correctly submitted before we have all documents and 5 printed copies of your thesis!
What happens if I don't submit within the deadline?
- You will not be guaranteed an oral examination within the same semester.
- If you submit between 10 May - 1 June / 10 November - 1 December your oral defense will probably be in August/January.
- PLEASE NOTE! There are some special rules and regulations in regards to VISA or funding issues etc. for international and quota students who do not submit within the deadline. International students who are delayed in their master's programme - please consult the International Student Reception.
Apply for an EXTRA SEMESTER for students admitted autumn 2010 or later:
- You may apply for an extra semester - no more than twice.
- The deadlines for applying for an extra semester are 1 June (spring semester) and 1 December autumn semester). This means: If you are unable to submit your thesis within May/November, you will have to apply for an extra semester.
- More information on how to apply for an extra semester at the Faculty of Humanities.
Students admitted autumn 2009 or earlier:
- The same guarantee deadline applies to you (see above).
- If you submit your thesis between 10 May and 1 June / 10 November - 1 December, your oral examination will be in August / January.
- If you wish to submit your thesis the next semester (after 1 June /1 December), you need to apply for a postponement to studiekonsulent(at)media.uio.no. You also need to pay the semester fee and register for the next semester.