Research topic: Music and society
"Music and society" is a general term used to refer to a range of academic approaches within musicology (humanistic, sociological and pedagogical) that investigate the significance of music in and for different societies.
Terms used to describe our research areas include sociomusicology, the anthropology of music (ethnomusicology) and cultural studies.
Examples of key topics for our research include:
- music and sound as cultural practice
- music as social interaction
- social/cultural ideas about music
- music/sound as semantic entities in different cultures/societies
- music and power structures/institutions/fields
- music and globalisation
- music and identity (individuality, nationality, race, gender).