The photographic archive
The library manages a photographic archive that consists of more than 6000 entries, among them prints and prints, slides, glass plate negatives, glass plate slides, and other materials associated with early photography.
The Norwegian Institute formally established the collection of photographic images in 1963. At the time, imagines associated with research projects developed through the institute as well as donated by researchers and students who visited the Institute through the years were deposited in the collection. The core of the collection consists of pictures taken during the research conducted by Hans Peter L’Orange, Hjalmar Torp and Ejnar Dyggve. An important body of documentation comes from the investigations of the Tempietto langobardo di Cividale (more than 800 documents), documentation of two historical monuments in Thessaloniki initiated by Ejnar Dyggve in 1939 and carried on in collaboration with Hjalmar Torp in 1953, the survey of High Medieval Mediterranean sculpture initiated by H,P, L’Orange in 1937, and interrupted by the outbreak of the Second World War.
Cividale del Friuli (approx. 800 entries)
This is a collection of images from the project tempietto longobardo – Oratorio di Santa Maria in Valle situate a Cividale del Friuli (UD). The project studied monuments in their totality and was carried out by a team of Norwegian researchers consisting of H.P. L’Orange, E. Dyggve, H. Torp, P.J. Nordhagen and A. Gunnarsjaa. A photograph series of the stucco decorations of the Tempietto was taken for The Norwegian Institute by the photographer Elio Ciol at the end of the 1970’s, immediately after the earthquakes that struck Friuli in March and September 1976.
Thessaloniki, Ejnar Dyggve’s campaign in 1939 and 1953 (approx. 800 entries)
The images in this collection were taken during fieldwork and excavations conducted by an international group. Assembled by E. Dyggve in 1939 with the aim to study the Arch of Galerio and the Rotonda, and trace these monuments’ connection to the Palace, which still had not been identified. The core of the collection is comprised of two separate series of pictures, the first taken in 1939, while the second was taken in 1953 when Dyggve returned to Thessaoniki in collaboration with H.P. L’Orange to excavate the altar, the mosaics and the masonry in the Rotunda. It was during this final campaign that H. Torp, a former student of L’Orange’s came to join the team.
Sculptures and reliefs of the Italian High Middle Ages, H.P. L’Orange (approx. 2000 negatives)
The pronounced images of this collection were assembled thanks to a grant to H.P. L’Orange provided by the Institute for Comparative Cultural Research, Oslo. The aim was to conduct a research project dealing with High Medieval sculpture and reliefs in the Mediterranean countries. However, the results of the project were confined to Italy due to the outbreak of the Second World War.
The Arch of Constantine (189 images, slides and negatives)
The majority of the photographs were taken during the 1930’s in connection with the work and studies preparing H.P. L’Orange and Armin von Gerkans’s book Der Spätantike Bildschmuck des Konstantinbogens (Verlag Walter de Gruyter, 1939). The pictures date back to 1931/32 and were taken by the Roman photographer Cesare Faraglia.