To gain admission to the PhD programme you can either apply for a position as a doctoral research fellow or apply for admission with external funding.
In order to apply for a position as a doctoral research fellow at the Faculty of Humanities, there must be one or more vacancies.
The PhD positions are related to disciplines, subject areas, projects or units, and are announced by the relevant department with varying deadlines.
Successful applicants will be employed by the University while taking a PhD degree, and will have the same rights and obligations as other employees.
You can apply for admission to the programme if your PhD is to be funded by another institution. You must be affiliated with an active research community.
External funding can be:
- PhD position at a university college/other university
- other employment in an academic institution, with time available for own research
- scholarship from a home university or research institution
- The Research Council of Norway’s Industrial PhD or public sector PhD
Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis.
Who qualifies for admission?
- A high standard is required both with regard to competence and to the quality and relevance of the PhD project. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the research work at the faculty.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate good results in postgraduate studies and good academic progress.
- Admission to the PhD programme requires funding for the entire period. The funding can be a position as a doctoral research fellow or a scholarship that covers all living expenses.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.