Norwegian version of this page

Study and research abroad - PhD

All PhD candidates are encouraged to spend time abroad as part of the source or field work related to the doctoral thesis, or in order to receive supervision and other academic support at another university.

An international track record will be crucial for future academic employment and for opportunities for external project financing.

Participation in external courses and conferences is also a key part of organized research training, where the candidates also have the opportunity to establish contacts and build networks.

Support for research trips

PhD candidates employed at the Faculty of Humanities can apply for grants for research trips of at least 1 month up to a maximum of 6 months. Application deadline: 1 December and 1 June.

Read more about funding of long research trips

For shorter trips, for example in connection with participation in conferences, PhD candidates must use allocated funds.

Research grants for candidates funded by the Research Council of Norway

PhD candidates employed on projects funded by the Research Council of Norway need to apply to the Research Council for an overseas research grant.

Other sources of funding for overseas trips

  • EURAXESS – practical information for researchers in motion
  • Mobility funding database – the Research Council’s grant database for mobility
  • UNIFOR – various funds and bequests
  • Fulbright programme - USA

Exchange agreements

Exchange agreements with other universities are organized for longer stays. These agreements can normally be used for research trips and courses, and often provide practical and financial benefits compared with ordinary visiting researcher stays.

See an overview of exchange agreements for PhD candidates (in Norwegian)

Travel through Erasmus+

All PhD candidates can undertake a student exchange through Erasmus+ and receive a grant in the same way as other students. The minimum length of such stays is 3 months, and the faculty or department you are affiliated with must have an exchange agreement for PhD candidates with the overseas educational institution.

If you are employed as a PhD candidate at UiO, you can also apply for Erasmus+ funding to teach at another university or for training or participation in courses.

The exchange application procedure may be different for PhD candidates than for students at a lower level. You should therefore contact the research administration at your department well in advance if you are considering taking advantage of an exchange agreement.


Published Dec. 21, 2020 10:23 AM - Last modified June 9, 2022 9:18 AM