I am a historian of Republican Rome and Italy. I am particularly interested in the history of the early Rome and the interactions of different peoples and languages in the ancient world. A further research interest of mine is ancient polytheism, and I published widely on Roman and Italic gods and goddesses, especially on the relationship of gods and goddesses with concepts, language and rhetoric. Finally, I am interested in ancient and modern historiography, on the one hand in the use of ancient historians to define theories of modernity, and on the other in the relationship between history and other categories (e.g. myth, truth, rhetoric), in antiquity and beyond.
- HIS2118 – Rome and the Rise of Its Empire (509–31 BCE) https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iakh/HIS2118/index.html
- HIS1200 Special subject – Alexander the Great and the Making of a New World https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iakh/HIS1200/
Before joining the University of Oslo in 2020, I held teaching and research positions in Erfurt, Sheffield, Dublin and Oxford. I studied for my undergraduate degree in Rome, and I did my postgraduate studies in Manchester, Paris and Pisa, obtaining my doctorate from the Scuola Normale Superiore (2013).
- E. Bispham, D. Miano (eds), Gods and Goddesses in Ancient Italy, Routledge: London-New York 2019.
- D. Miano, "Divinités conceptuelles et pouvoir dans le polythéisme romain". Pallas: Revue d’études antiques 111, 2019, p. 95-111.
- D. Miano, Fortuna: Deity and Concept in Archaic and Republican Italy, Oxford University Press: Oxford 2018.
- D. Miano, Monimenta: Aspetti storico-culturali della memoria nella Roma medio-
repubblicana, Bulzoni: Rome 2011.
- Elliott, Jackie & Miano, Daniele (2020). Cicero, Ennius and the Inscription for the Statue of Cato in Plutarch's Cato Maior. Latomus: Revue et collection d'études latines. ISSN 0023-8856. 79(3), s 625- 646
- Miano, Daniele (2020). From Kyme to Cumae. Cumaean (hi)stories of continuity and eradication, In Edoardo Bianchi & Carlo Pelloso (ed.), Roma e l'Italia tirrenica. Magistrature e ordinamenti istituzionali nei secoli V e IV a.C.. Edizioni dell'Orso. ISBN 9788836130535. Ch. 12. s 251 - 274
- Miano, Daniele (2020). The Explosion of Dionysius of Halicarnassus: Ghosts of Rhetoric from the Artes Historicae to Postmodernist Historiography. Histos. The Online Journal of Ancient Historiography. 14, s clxxv- clxxxvi Full text in Research Archive.