My main research interests are in practical reasoning, moral epistemology and Kantian ethics. In particular, I deal with issues about the objectivity of rational justification, the standards of rational agency and related accounts of practical knowledge. I have argued for a distinctive form of Kantian constructivism, which is designed to vindicate both the objective and subjective aspects of practical reason. Current projects concern the impact of subjective vulnerabilities and constitutive constraints on rational deliberation and practical thought, as well as the status and role of retrospective attitudes of moral assessment.
I am professor of Theoretical Philosophy at the University of Modena since 2010. Before that I was tenured full professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where I taught since 1998. I have also held Visiting Professorships at the Université de Paris 1- Panthéon Sorbonne, and at the University of Siena 2005-09, a Visiting Fellowship at Harvard University, and a Post-doctoral Fellowship in Practical Philosophy at the University of Amsterdam. I obtained a Ph.D. in Philosophy at the University of Milan in 1996.
- Bagnoli, Carla (2016). Change in View: Sensitivity to Facts and Prospective Rationality, In G. Marchetti & S. Marchetti (ed.), Facts and Values: The Ethics and Metaphysics of Normativity. Routledge. ISBN 9781138955516. Kapittel 7.
- Bagnoli, Carla (2016). Defeaters and practical knowledge. Synthese. ISSN 0039-7857. Published ahead of print . doi: 10.1007/s11229-016-1095-z
- Bagnoli, Carla (2016). Kantian Constructivism and the Moral Problem. Philosophia. ISSN 0048-3893. s 1- 18 . doi: 10.1007/s11406-016-9745-4
- Bagnoli, Carla (2016). Rooted in the Past, Hooked in the Present: Vulnerability to Contingency and Immunity to Regret. Philosophy and phenomenological research. ISSN 0031-8205. 92(3), s 763- 770 . doi: 10.1111/phpr.12293
- Bagnoli, Carla (2016). Vulnerability and the Incompleteness of Practical Reason, In Christine Strahele (ed.), Vulnerability, Autonomy, and Applied Ethics. Routledge. ISBN 9781138125551. Kapittel 1. s 13 - 32
- Bagnoli, Carla (2015). Moral Objectivity: a Kantian Illusion?. Journal of Value Inquiry. ISSN 0022-5363. 49, s 31- 45
- Bagnoli, Carla (2013). Constructivism about Practical Knowledge, In Carla Bagnoli (ed.), Constructivism in Ethics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1107650329. kapittel. s 153 - 182
- Bagnoli, Carla (ed.) (2013). Constructivism in Ethics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1107650329. 272 s.