Subproject 1 of The Developing Communicator (DEVCOM) investigates how components of young children’s language production such as lexical innovation (i.e. their ability to innovate neologisms), as correlated with executive functions (e.g. relational and working memory, cognitive flexibility), link up with how they negotiate the sense conventions of their social-linguistic environments (i.e. how they come to correctly infer non-literal meaning from figurative language). Through experimental research using eye-tracking technology with typically developing children from 2-7 years of age, and within a longitudinal design, the project aims to map out a timeline for the development of this pragmatic ability in early childhood.
As a researcher, I enjoy working with interdisciplinary approaches that embrace the conceptual mapping and testing of theories across multiple domains and fields of knowledge. I am generally inspired by embodied models of social cognition, the development of relational knowledge as influenced by the social environment and how these models may help to improve our understanding of social phenomena as they are studied today.
PhD Social Psychology/Social Cognitive Development, University of Oslo, Norway (2016- )
2014 MPhil Psychoanalytic Studies, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
2011 BA Computer Science, Linguistics & French, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- Prendergast, Claire Nicole & Schubert, Thomas (2020). Investigating Reflexive Responses to Explicit and Implicit Forms of Social Exclusion Using Immersive Virtual Environment Technology. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. 11 . doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2020.575783 Full text in Research Archive.
- Prendergast, Claire Nicole (2019). Infant Understanding of Different Forms of Social Exclusion. Brain Sciences. ISSN 2076-3425. 9(9) . doi: 10.3390/brainsci9090227 Full text in Research Archive.
- Prendergast, Claire Nicole; Eftedal, Nikolai Haahjem; Ikonomeas, Alexander Gustav Fredriksen; Brun, Aurora; Huth, Håkon & Bredesen, Marit (2019). The Norwegian version of the five factor narcissism inventory for vulnerable narcissism and the grandiose narcissism subscale of indifference: Psychometric properties of the long‐ and short‐form versions. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. ISSN 0036-5564. 60(5), s 492- 500 . doi: 10.1111/sjop.12569 Full text in Research Archive.
- Kunst, Jonas R.; Bailey, April; Prendergast, Claire Nicole & Gundersen, Aleksander (2018). Sexism, rape myths and feminist identification explain gender differences in attitudes toward the #metoo social media campaign in two countries. Media Psychology. ISSN 1521-3269. . doi: 10.1080/15213269.2018.1532300
- Fitzpatrick, Marilyn; Henson, Alisha; Grumet, Robin; Poolokasinghman, Gauthamie; Foa, Clare; Comeau, Thea & Prendergast, Claire Nicole (2016). Challenge, focus, inspiration and support: Processes of values clarification and congruence.. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science. ISSN 2212-1447. 5(1), s 7- 15 . doi: 10.1016/j.jcbs.2016.02.001
- Prendergast, Claire Nicole (2016). In the intimacy of my “enaction”: Modeling kohut’s “bipolar self” as an autopoietic system: A dialectic approach to phenomenological research in contemporary psychoanalytic self psychology. Psychoanalytic Review. ISSN 0033-2836. 103(3), s 317- 339 . doi: 10.1521/prev.2016.103.3.317
- O'Rourke, Breffni; Prendergast, Claire Nicole; Shi, Lijing; Smith, Bryan & Stickler, Ursula (2015). Eyetracking in CALL – present and future, In Ana María Gimeno Sanz; Mike Levy; Françoise Blin & David Barr (ed.), WorldCALL: Sustainability and Computer-Assisted Language Learning. Bloomsbury Academic. ISBN 9781474248303. Chapter 16.