Keith A. Wilson
I’m a Philosopher of Mind and Perception, postdoc on the Perceiving Representations project, and collaborator on the Perceiving Properties in a World of Objects project (perceivingproperties.wixsite.com). I also organise the fortnightly Oslo Mind Group seminar.
My research interests include
- the metaphysics of perception, and in particular the spatial and temporal structure of multisensory experience
- perceptual appearances and representational content
- the philosophy of psychology and cognitive science
- the metaphysics and consciousness of time and temporal passage
- the work of Thomas Reid, on whose account of visual perception I have published.
Prior to becoming a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Oslo in January 2019, I was a part-time Teaching Fellow at the University of Edinburgh (2017–18) where I taught undergraduate and Masters level courses in the Philosophy of Mind and Perception.
I have previously taught philosophy at the Universities of Sussex (2013–14) and Glasgow (2014–17) where I was a Postdoctoral Researcher on the AHRC-funded Rethinking the Senses project (thesenses.ac.uk), and Postdoctoral Investigator on the Synchronising the Senses project (gla.ac.uk), funded by the John Templeton Foundation.
I completed my doctorate, which examined arguments for and against representational views of perceptual experience, at the University of Warwick in 2013 under the supervision of Professors Bill Brewer and Matthew Soteriou, and have also studied at the Universities of York, St Andrews, and Columbia, New York.
Read more (keithwilson.net)
Awards and funding
- Perceiving Properties in a World of Objects (collaborator) (perceivingproperties.wixsite.com), John Fell Fund, University of Oxford, 2019–2021
- Teaching Award Nomination, Best Overall Teacher, University of Edinburgh Students’ Association, 2019
- Teaching Award Nomination, Best Student Feedback, University of Edinburgh Students’ Association, 2018
- John Templeton Foundation grant for Synchronising the Senses project (gla.ac.uk) (June–Sept. 2017) via the University of Cambridge’s New Directions in the Study of the Mind initiative
- Wellcome Trust ISSF Public Engagement Bursary for outreach activities at Glasgow Science Festival, 2016
- Student-Led Teaching Award for Outstanding Support for the Learning Experience of Students, University of Sussex, 2014
- Ede and Ravenscroft Prize for Academic Excellence and Outstanding Contribution to the Department and University Life, University of York, 2005
Public engagement and outreach
I strongly believe in increasing the public awareness and understanding of philosophy, and am available to comment on a range of issues including
- perception and the senses
- philosophy of science and the mind (esp. psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science, and the nature and experience of time), and
- the relevance of philosophy and philosophical debate to wider society.
I co-designed The Illusions Index (illusionsindex.org), a searchable database of perceptual illusions with philosophical and scientific commentary, and have published several popular philosophy articles (see ‘Other’ below).
View all outreach (keithwilson.net)
- Wilson, Keith A. (2021). Individuating the Senses of ‘Smell’: Orthonasal versus Retronasal Olfaction. Synthese. ISSN 0039-7857. . doi: 10.1007/s11229-020-02976-7 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Wilson, Keith A. (2018). Are the Senses Silent? Travis’s Argument from Looks, In John Collins & Tamara Dobler (ed.), The Philosophy of Charles Travis: Language, Thought, and Perception. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198783916. 10. s 199 - 221 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wilson, Keith A. & Macpherson, Fiona (2018). The Senses, In Duncan Pritchard (ed.), Oxford Bibliographies in Philosophy. Oxford Bibliographies. ISBN 9780195396577. Bibliography. Show summary
- Locatelli, Roberta & Wilson, Keith A. (2017). Introduction: Perception Without Representation. Topoi. ISSN 0167-7411. 36(2), s 197- 212 . doi: 10.1007/s11245-017-9460-1 Full text in Research Archive.
- Locatelli, Roberta & Wilson, Keith A. (2017). Perception Without Representation [Special Issue]. Topoi. ISSN 0167-7411. 36(2), s 197- 364 Show summary
- Wilson, Keith A. (2013). Reid’s Direct Realism and Visible Figure. The Philosophical Quarterly. ISSN 0031-8094. 63(253), s 783- 803 . doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9213.2013.02002.x
- Wilson, Keith (2007). Does Attention Exist?. British Journal of Undergraduate Philosophy. ISSN 1748-9393. 2(2), s 153- 168
- Wilson, Keith A. (2020). Multisensory Perception. Sabah Ülkesi. ISSN 2195-6456. Show summary
- Locatelli, Roberta & Wilson, Keith A. (2017). Erratum to Introduction: Perception Without Representation. Topoi. ISSN 0167-7411. 36(2), s 213- 213 . doi: 10.1007/s11245-017-9489-1
- Wilson, Keith (2013). Perception and Reality. New Philosopher. ISSN 2201-7151. 1(2), s 104- 107 Show summary
- Wilson, Keith A. (2013). Review of Perception: Essays after Frege by Charles Travis. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. ISSN 1538-1617.