Keith A. Wilson
I’m a Philosopher of Mind and Perception, and postdoc on the Perceiving Representations project.
My research interests include
- the metaphysics of perception, and in particular the spatial and temporal structure of multisensory experience
- perceptual appearances and representational content
- the metaphysics and consciousness of time and temporal passage
- the philosophy of psychology and cognitive science
- the work of Thomas Reid, on whose account of visual perception I have published.
I am currently visiting the Philosophy of Neuroscience Group at the University of Tübingen (April–October 2022), where I am researching the temporal structure of multisensory perceptual experience.
View home page (keithwilson.net)
Prior to becoming a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Oslo in January 2019, I was a part-time Teaching Fellow at the University of Edinburgh (2017–18) where I taught undergraduate and Masters level courses in the Philosophy of Mind and Perception.
I have previously taught philosophy at the Universities of Sussex (2013–14) and Glasgow (2014–17) where I was a Postdoctoral Researcher on the Rethinking the Senses project (gla.ac.uk), funded by the UK Arts & Humanities Research Council, and Postdoctoral Investigator on the Synchronising the Senses project (gla.ac.uk), funded by the John Templeton Foundation.
View biography (keithwilson.net)
I taught on FIL2108 Philosophy of Psychology, Autumn 2021, and am currently co-teaching the Philosophy of Perception: Ancient and Contemporary Perspectives Hauptseminar at the University of Tübingen.
View teaching (keithwilson.net)
Awards and funding
- Funding for Research Stay Abroad for Postdoctoral Fellows, Research Council of Norway, University of Oslo, 2021–2022
- Perceiving Properties in a World of Objects (collaborator) (perceivingproperties.wixsite.com), John Fell Fund, University of Oxford, 2019–2021
- Teaching Award Nomination, Best Overall Teacher, University of Edinburgh Students’ Association, 2019
- Teaching Award Nomination, Best Student Feedback, University of Edinburgh Students’ Association, 2018
- John Templeton Foundation grant for Synchronising the Senses project (gla.ac.uk) via the University of Cambridge’s New Directions in the Study of the Mind initiative, 2017
- Wellcome Trust ISSF Public Engagement Bursary for outreach activities at Glasgow Science Festival, 2016
- Student-Led Teaching Award for Outstanding Support for the Learning Experience of Students, University of Sussex, 2014
- Ede and Ravenscroft Prize for Academic Excellence and Outstanding Contribution to the Department and University Life, University of York, 2005
I strongly believe in increasing the public awareness and understanding of philosophy, and am available to comment on a range of issues including
- perception and the senses
- philosophy of science and the mind (esp. psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science, and the nature and experience of time), and
- the relevance of philosophy and philosophical debate to wider society.
I co-designed The Illusions Index (illusionsindex.org), a searchable database of perceptual illusions with philosophical and scientific commentary, and have published several popular philosophy articles (see Publications > Other below).
View outreach (keithwilson.net)
Wilson, Keith A. (2022). The Temporal Structure of Olfactory Experience. In Keller, Andreas & Young, Benjamin (Ed.), Theoretical Perspectives on Smell. Routledge. ISSN 0000000000.
Wilson, Keith A. (2022). Does Property-Perception Entail the Content View? Erkenntnis: An International Journal of Scientific Philosophy. ISSN 0165-0106. In press. Show summary
Wilson, Keith A. (2022). The Auditory Field: The Spatial Character of Auditory Experience. Ergo - An Open Access Journal of Philosophy. ISSN 2330-4014. In press. Show summary
Wilson, Keith A. (2018). Are the Senses Silent? Travis’s Argument from Looks. In Collins, John & Dobler, Tamara (Ed.), The Philosophy of Charles Travis: Language, Thought, and Perception. Oxford University Press. ISSN 9780198783916. p. 199–221. doi: 10.1093/oso/9780198783916.003.0010. Full text in Research Archive
Wilson, Keith (2007). Does Attention Exist? British Journal of Undergraduate Philosophy. ISSN 1748-9393. 2(2), p. 153–168.
Wilson, Keith A. (2020). Multisensory Perception. Sabah Ülkesi. ISSN 2195-6456. Show summary
Wilson, Keith (2013). Perception and Reality. New Philosopher. ISSN 2201-7151. 1(2), p. 104–107. Show summary
Wilson, Keith A. (2013). Review of Perception: Essays after Frege by Charles Travis. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. ISSN 1538-1617.