I work across critical time studies and environmental humanities with an interest in phenology (the scientific study of life cycle timing in plants and animals), timekeeping technologies, field philosophy methods and community responses to climate breakdown.
- I will be contributing to courses offered by the Oslo School of Environmental Humanities and related courses at IFIKK
I completed my PhD in Philosophy at the University of New South Wales, with a focus on feminist and continental philosophy. I was then a Research Associate at the Centre for Research on Socio-Cultural Change, University of Manchester, before taking up my current role at the University Edinburgh, where I am a Senior Lecturer in Environmental Humanities in the College of Art. From August 2021 - July 2022 I am an ISRF Mid-Career Fellow, working on a new project around phenology, time and field philosophy.
- Bastian, M., L. Baraitser, M. Flexer, A. Hom, L. Salisbury, (2020) "Special Issue: The Social Life of Time" Time & Society 29(2).
- Buchanan, B., M. Chrulew, M. Bastian (eds.) (2018) “Special Issue: Field Philosophy and Other Experiments” Parallax 24 (3). Reissued in book form by Routledge in 2020.
- Ginn, F., D. Farrier, M. Bastian, J. Kidwell (eds.) (2018) “Special Issue: Unexpected Encounters with Deep Time”, Environmental Humanities 10 (1).
- Bastian, M. and van Dooren, T. (eds.) (2017) Immortality and Infinitude in the Anthropocene. Special issue of Environmental Philosophy.
- Bastian, M., Jones, O., Roe, E. and Moore, N. (eds.) (2016) Participatory research in more-than-human worlds. Routledge: London.
- Bastian, M. (2020) "Whale falls, suspended ground and extinctions never known" Environmental Humanities, 12 (2): 454–474.
- Bastian, M. (2019) "Retelling time in grassroots sustainable economy movements" GeoHumanities. 5 (1): 36-53.
- Bastian, M. (2018). “Philosophy disturbed: reflections on field and philosophy” Parallax 24 (3): 449-465.
- Pschetz, L., Bastian, M. (2018) “Temporal Design: Rethinking time in design” Design Studies 56 (May): 169-184.
- Bastian, M. (2017). "Liberating Clocks: Exploring other possible futures" in Elisa Felicitas Arias, Ludwig Combrinck, Pavel Gabor, Catherine Hohenkerk, P. Kenneth Seidelmann (eds.) Proceedings of the Science of Time Conference. Springer, (Space Science and Astrophysics Proceedings) 369-378.
- Bastian, M. (2017) “Liberating Clocks: Developing a critical horology to rethink the potential of clock time” new formations: a journal of culture/theory/politics, 92, 41-55.
- Bastian, M. van Dooren, T. (2017) "The new immortals: Immortality and infinitude in the Anthropocene" Journal of Environmental Philosophy. 14(1).
- Pschetz, L., Bastian, M., Speed, C. (2016). Temporal design: looking at time as social coordination. Proceedings of DRS 2016, Design Research Society 50th Anniversary Conference. Brighton, UK, 27–30 June 2016.
- Pschetz, L., Bastian, M., Bowler, R. (2022) Revealing social infrastructures of time. In Knox, H, John, G Speaking for the Social: A Catalogue of Methods Punctum Books.
- Bastian, M. (2017) “Encountering Leatherbacks in Multispecies Knots of Time” in Deborah Rose, Thom van Dooren and Matthew Chrulew (eds.) Extinction Studies: Stories of Time, Death and Generations. Columbia University Press: New York.
- Bastian, M. (2017) "Towards a more-than-human participatory research" in Bastian, M., Jones, O., Roe, E. and Moore, N. (eds.) Participation in More-than-human Worlds. Routledge: London.
Cristin returned 'not found'