Professor of Philosophy and Director of CSMN, University of Oslo
- 1972-75: Examen Artium
- 1975-80: Cand. Mag, University of Oslo (1981-82: National Service)
- 1982-83: Visiting Postgraduate Student, Balliol College Oxford
- 1983-86: Postgraduate student for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Balliol College, University of Oxford. Thesis entitled "The Token-Token Identity-Theory and Recent Theories of Reference" submitted Trinity Term 1986.
- 1982-84: Brynie-Jordan Scholarship at Balliol College
- 1983-86: Anderson Scholarship, Balliol College
- 1984-85: British Council Scholarship
- 1985-86: Overseas Research Scholarship, awarded by the committee of Vice- Chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the United Kingdom
- 1989-90: Norwegian Research Council Fellowship to do research at the University of California, Berkeley
- 1989-90: Scholarship from the Norway-America Association to do research at the University of California, Berkeley
- 1994-95: Scholarship from the Norwegian Research Council to do work in the Addiction Project (Addicton-Rationality and Irrationality),
- 1994 Research Fellowship, Norwegian Institute for Addiction Research (SIFA)
- 1995 Scholarship from the London School of Economics, University of London, to be a Visting Professor at The Centre for Philosophy Science.
- 2001 Scholarship from the Norwegian Research Council to do research at the University of Oxford.
- 1986-90 Research fellow, Department of Philosophy, University of Oslo
- 1989-90 Research Associate, Department of Philosophy, University of California, Berkeley
- 1991- 94 Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Philosophy, University of Oslo
- 1994- Professor of Philosophy, University of Oslo
- 2000-01 Visiting Fellow, Balliol College, Oxford University.
- 2003/4 Director (with Bjørn Ramberg) for the international project “Towards a New Understanding of the Mental “at the Centre for Advanced Study, The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
- 2007- 2017 Research Director, CSMN, a centre of excellence at the University of Oslo, funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- 2010 – 2017 Director, CSMN, a centre of excellence at the University of Oslo, funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- 2015 Visiting Professor, EHESS and University of Paris.
- Member of The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters since 2002.
- Member of the Royal Norwegian Society of Science and Letters since 2011.
- Member of the European Academy, Academia Europaea, since 2012.
- Membre titulaire, Institut International de Philosophie, since 2012.
- Many offices at the University of Oslo, including service on the Faculty Board, Faculty of Humanities, and Oslo University Board.
- Chairman of the Section of Philosophy, 1991-92.
- Chairman, Department of Philosophy, 1997-2000.
- Norwegian National Representative for the European Society for Analytic Philosophy, 1994-2007
- Chairman of The Section of Philosophy, University of Oslo, 2003 until 2005.
- Chairman of Group 3, Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, 2005-11, and 2018-2021
- Assesseur and Board member, Institut International de Philosophie, Paris, 2017-2019.
Service for the Profession
- Member, Steering Committee, Philosophy of Science in a European Perspective, 2008-2012
- Member, Steering Committee European Society of Analytical Philosophy 2011-2017
- Member, evaluation panels for philosophy in several European Countries