My research centres around various forms and aspects of representation. Among other things, I am interested in the nature of thought, its intentionality, and its relation to perception and linguistic representation. I am also interested in artistic representation, especially pictorial representation and representational aspects of music, as well as the perception of art generally. In 2018, I commence work on a four-year long 'Young Research Talents' project entitled 'Perceiving Representations: A Study of Structural Commonalities between Language, Pictures and Music', funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
I started in my current position as lecturer in summer 2017, after having been employed as fixed-term associate professor at IFIKK for two years. Since 2013, I have been affiliated with CSMN. I studied at University College London (PhD, 2014; MPhil, 2010) and the University of Oslo (Bachelor, 2008).
- Aasen, Solveig (2020). Depicting Movement. Australasian Journal of Philosophy. ISSN 0004-8402.
- Aasen, Solveig (2018). Spatial Aspects of Olfactory Experience. Canadian Journal of Philosophy. ISSN 0045-5091. s 1- 21 . doi: 10.1080/00455091.2018.1433793 Full text in Research Archive.
- Aasen, Solveig (2017). Object-Dependent Thought Without Illusion. European Journal of Philosophy. ISSN 0966-8373. 25(1), s 68- 84 . doi: 10.1111/ejop.12225
- Aasen, Solveig (2017). Å sanse det abstrakte: Bildet som persepsjonsobjekt og kunstobjekt. Filosofisk supplement. ISSN 0809-8220. (1), s 46- 55 Full text in Research Archive.
- Aasen, Solveig (2016). Pictures, presence and visibility. Philosophical Studies. ISSN 0031-8116. 173(1), s 187- 203 . doi: 10.1007/s11098-015-0475-4
- Aasen, Solveig (2016). Visibility constraints in depiction: objects experienced versus objects depicted. The Philosophical Quarterly. ISSN 0031-8094. 66(265), s 665- 679 . doi: 10.1093/pq/pqw015 Full text in Research Archive.
- Aasen, Solveig (2017). Are olfactory objects spatial?. iCog Blog.