Tor Egil Førland
- Cand. philol. 1986 (history, economy, political science), University of Oslo
- Dr. philos. 1991 (history), University of Oslo
- Visiting scholar, University of Maryland, College Park, 1987–88
- Research fellow (NAVF), International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO) 1988–90
- Associate professor in Western Europe Areas Studies, University of Oslo, 1991–2001
- Adjunct associate professor in history, University of Bergen, 1993–94
- Professor in history, University of Oslo, 2001–
- Responsible for Western Europe Area Studies, 1995–2002
- Subdean of education at the Faculty of Humanities, 2003–2006
- Head of education and Deputy head of Department of Archaeology, Conservation and History (IAKH), 2009–2012
- Head of Department of Archaeology, Conservation and History (IAKH), 2013–2020
- Head of Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas, 2021–.
I have taught all levels of history, especially general modern European history, Cold War history, European integration history, and historical theory and methodology, since 1993, and courses at the Western Europe Area Studies, 1990–2003.
Current research interests
- Explanation and objectivity in historiography