Philosophy and biology
Researchers in this sugroup investigate explanation, causation and causal reasoning in biology. Key issues concern the understanding of defaults and implicit assumptions in explanations, functional stability, modularity, specificity, robustness, and the selection of explanatory levels.
- Strand, A. and Oftedal, G. (forthcoming) “Restricted Causal Relevance”, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Strand, A. and Oftedal, G. (2009) “Functional Stability and Systems Level Causation”, Philosophy of Science, 76(5), 809-820
G. Oftedal, A. Strand
- Causation and Reduction in Systems Biology (FRIHUMSAM 231106, 2014-2018)
- Philosophical Foundations for Systems Biology (NOS-HS 212069, 2009-2015)
- Conceptualizing Genetic Information and Genetic Causation in a Systems Biology Framework (HUM 177651, 2007-2012)