Joanna Olga Iranowska
PhD research fellow in the project Museum: A Culture of Copies
museums and museology
collections and archives digitization
2012-2015 Research Assistant in the Edvard Munch's Writings project at The Munch Museum.
2012: MA in Cultural Studies, Jagiellonian University
Master's thesis title: "Poland and Norway: Study of the Cultural Relations within the Cultural Exchange Fund."
Visiting Fellow: Institute for Culture and Society, Western Sydney University (December 2016 - March 2017)
PhD Project: 'Multiplying Munch. New Digital Practices at the Munch Museum'
The project explores copying practices of visual art, archival material and historical artefacts in the context of art museums. It is the aim of the project to investigate the production and usage of digital reproductions, as well as to challenge the original object-centeredness of museum culture.
An art museum is not a closed collection of paintings. Most of the examples I have been looking at come from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway, which is the centre for exhibitions and research about the Norwegian painter Edvard Munch (1863-1944). Building on Munch’s “brand” requires never ending, intensive multiplying of his artworks. This means that in addition to being a custodian of the original works the museum is a maker of images. Museums embrace diverse new technologies and experiment with various digitizing techniques such as photographing, scanning, modern printing techniques or optical text recognition. Some of the questions to be considered are who plays a role in creation and dissemination of reproductions in the museum? What constitutes a good copy? And what are copies used for?
- Iranowska, Joanna (2017). What is a 'Good' Copy of Edvard Munch's Painting? Painting Reproductions on Display. Culture Unbound. Journal of Current Cultural Research. ISSN 2000-1525. 9(1), s 38- 61 . doi: http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/
- Iranowska, Joanna (2017). What is a 'good' copy of Edvard Munch's painting? Painting reproductions on display. Culture Unbound. Journal of Current Cultural Research. ISSN 2000-1525. 9(1), s 38- 61 . doi: 10.3384/cu.2000.1525.179138
- Iranowska, Joanna (2016). Reproductions on display. UV-printed copies of Edvard Munch's oil paintings.
- Iranowska, Joanna (2016). What is a "good" copy of Edvard Munch's painting? Photographic prints on display.
- Olsrud, Janne Werner & Iranowska, Joanna (2015). Museum: a Culture of Copies.