Mathilde Becker Aarseth
My academic interests circle around political violence in various forms, with a focus on the Middle East. My PhD was a qualitative study of ISIS governance in Mosul, Iraq. The book based on my findings will be published by I.B.Tauris in 2021: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/mosul-under-isis-9780755607105/
My research interests also include climate change adaptation and environmental policy. My current research project Oil in Transition is a study of political discourse on climate change and the "green shift" in Norway, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates.
I have previously worked as a foreign news and feature journalist for major Norwegian newspapers for many years. I defended my PhD thesis in August 2019 at IKOS, University of Oslo. I hold an MSc in Middle East Politics from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London, with a thesis on the military-strategic discourse in Israeli media. I hold a BA in Middle East studies from IKOS focusing on political science and Arabic, including a year at the International Language Institute in Cairo and a semester at the University of Damascus. I also hold a BA in Journalism from Høgskolen i Bodø.
- Aarseth, Mathilde Oda Becker (2020). Jihadister som statsbyggere – IS vs. Al-Qaida. Babylon - Nordisk tidsskrift for Midtøstenstudier. ISSN 1503-5727. (1), s 8- 19 . doi: https://doi.org/10.5617/ba.8158
- Aarseth, Mathilde Oda Becker (2020). The Islamic State's Construction of Citizenship, In Roel Meijer; Zahra Babar & James Sater (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Citizenship in the Middle East and North Africa. Routledge. ISBN 9780367178932. Chapter. s 171 - 184
- Aarseth, Mathilde Becker (2018). Resistance in the Caliphate's Classrooms: Mosul Civilians vs IS. Middle East Policy. ISSN 1061-1924. 25(1), s 46- 63 . doi: 10.1111/mepo.12324
- Aarseth, Mathilde Oda Becker (2021). Mosul under ISIS - Eyewitness Accounts of Life in the Caliphate. I.B. Tauris. ISBN 9780755607105. 200 s.
- Aarseth, Mathilde Oda Becker (2019). Governing the Caliphate. The Islamic State’s interaction with civilians in Mosul (2014-2017). Show summary
- Aarseth, Mathilde Becker (2018, 22. mai). Iraks nye Robin Hood?. Morgenbladet. Show summary
- Aarseth, Mathilde Becker (2017, 11. desember). ISIS i Irak, reportasje i P1 Orientering. [Radio]. Danmarks Radio.
- Aarseth, Mathilde Becker (2017, 09. oktober). Urix spesial: Religion, vold og terror. [TV]. NRK.
- Aarseth, Mathilde Becker (2015, 31. desember). Streker i sanden. Klassekampen. Show summary