We aim to understand the contemporary development of Islam and the societies of the Middle-East. We investigate the political and ideological development, Islam and other religions in the region, and Middle-Eastern languages and literature.
- How does the understanding of Islam change over time?
- What is the political and societal role of religious movements in the Middle-East?
- How does oil revenue in the Gulf region influence political processes?
- How has Middle-Eastern literature responded to modern times and Western cultural influences?
- How are the languages of the region developing as a result of dialectical influences?
This project sets out to analyse and understand the different temporalities of epidemics, and the different lifetimes that come into play when coordinating efforts across political boundaries.
Journalism in struggles for democracy: media and polarization in the Middle East
What is the role of journalists in the social and political polarization that has followed the Arab uprisings?
Democracy, political Islam and violence. How do these aspects relate to the realities of everyday life in the post-revolutionary Arab world?
The goal of the repository is to provide controlled access to source material in response to the growing scholarly interest in jihadism and militant islamism. The project is a collaboration between the University of Oslo and the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI).
GreenMENA studies the human and social factors in energy transition in the Middle East and North Africa. Which factors influence ordinary people’s perceptions of, and support for, a green shift in the MENA region?