The Whales of Power project has led to the following publications and public research dissemination so far. (This list will be updated regularly.)
Peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters:
- Rots, Aike P. (2021) "Environmentalism." In The Bloomsbury Handbook of Japanese Religions, edited by Erica Baffelli, Andrea Castiglioni, and Fabio Rambelli, 65-72. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Nguyen, Tuan Anh (2021) "Nan đề bảo tồn văn hóa làng chài ven biển ở ven biển miền trung Việt Nam hiện nay: Trường hợp làng Mân Thái, Đà Nẵng." Museum & Anthropology 4.
- Palz, Marius (2020) "A Sea Cow Goes to Court: Extinction and Animal Agency in a Struggle Against Militarism." Relations 8 (1-2): 77-96.
- Durney, Florence (2020) "Appropriate Targets: Global Patterns in Interaction and Conflict Surrounding Cetacean Conservation and Traditional Marine Hunting Communities." Environment and Society 11 (1): 44-63.
- Rots, Aike P. (2019) "World Heritage, Secularisation, and the New “Public Sacred” in East Asia." Journal of Religion in Japan 8 (1-3): 151-178.
Essays, book reviews, blog posts, and newspaper articles:
- Rots, Aike P., Ragnhild Freng Dale, and Simen Ådnøy Ellingsen (2021) "Hva er best - sjø eller fjell? Del 2." Morgenbladet, 17 June.
- Haugan, Ellen (2021) "Humanistisk hvalforskning i Asia: Whales of Power." Asiapunkt, 2 May.
- Durney, Florence, and Sonja Åman (2021) "Lines in the Water: Thinking about access, tenure, and practice in traditional marine hunting communities." EnviroSociety, 8 March.
- Schou, Ingrid (2020) "Noen tror på hvaler - at de er guder som hjelper oss på havet." Ung.forskning.no. 17 October.
- Rots, Aike P. (2019) "The Elusive Adjective: Overcoming Methodological Nationalism in Japanese Studies." Essay written for the Toshiba International Foundation 30th Anniversary Essay Contest.
- Rots, Aike P. (2019) Review of The Sea and the Sacred in Japan: Aspects of Maritime Religion, by Fabio Rambelli (ed). Journal of Religion in Japan 8 (1-3): 207-213.
Podcast interviews and recorded guest lectures:
- Rots, Aike P. (2021) "Shinto, natuur en klimaatverandering." Guest lecture and interview, Radboud Reflects, Radboud University Nijmegen. 7 June (on YouTube).
- Rots, Aike P. (2021) "'Of Gods and Whales: Popular Rituals, Environmental Change, and the Necessity of Intra-Asian Comparison." Guest lecture, East Asia Center, University of Virginia. 16 April (on YouTube).
- Rots, Aike P. (2021) Nature : Mono podcast, episode four. Interview by Jon Pitt. 26 February.
- Rots, Aike P. (2021) Beyond Japan podcast, episode 25. Interview by Oliver Moxham. 25 February.