Thesaurus Linguae Sericae (TLS)
TLS is the first synonym dictionary of classical Chinese in any western language.
About the project
TLS has following features:
- focuses on the history of distinctive semantic nuances of words studied
- aiming to be systematically linked to archaeological illustration of whatever can be illustrated from excavated evidence
- organises the Chinese vocabulary in taxonomic ("is a kind of") and mereonomic ("is part of") hierarchies thus showing up whole conceptual schemes or cognitive systems
- registers a range of lexical relations like antonym, converse, epithet etc.
- incorporates detailed syntactic analysis of over 600 distinct kinds of syntactic usage
- enables us to make a systematic study of such basic phenomena as the natural history of abstract nouns or of reflexivity of psychological verbs in China
- will record the history of rhetorical devices in texts and will thus enable us to study such intellectually crucial things as the natural history of irony in China
- includes the first dictionary of 290 mathematical term.
TLS is developing a corpus-based historical and comparative encyclopaedia of Chinese conceptual schemes, implemented as an interactive database
Synonymordbok Linguae Sericae (TLS).