Oliwia Szymanska is a senior lecturer in Norwegian as a second language at the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies, University of Oslo, Norway. She has a doctoral degree from Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań (Poland), and has worked as an assistant professor and leader for Norwegian language studies at SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities in Warsaw. In many years she has taught Norwegian to physicians within specialist healthcare. Since 2018 she works as senior lecturer at the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies.
My main field of research is different aspects of second language acquisition and transfer studies with a spesial interest for conceptual transfer. My doctoral thesis in Norwegian as a second language elaborated on how Polish learners of Norwegian render basic spatial relations in the target language. At present I focus on the comprehension og Norwegian metaphorical expressions, and communication in Norwegian specialist healthcare, where many Polish learners are involved, both as physicians and patients.
- Second language acquisition and teaching
- Second language theories
- Norwegian as a second/foreign language
- Norwegian grammar in SLA perspective
- Norwegian-Polish contrastive grammar
- SLA corpora
- Transfer studies
- 2018 Setninger i norsk og polsk – definisjoner og inndelinger. I: Folia Scandinavica Posnaniensia vol. 25 (in cooperation with Marta Janik and Barbara Lukaszewicz)
- 2018 Konseptualisering av rommet hos polske norskinnlærere - utfordringer og diagnoser. En korpusbasert studie med i og på i fokus, Warszawa: Dom Wydawniczy ELIPSA, ISBN 9788380171879, 175 p.
- 2017 On how Polish Learners of Norwegian Render Spatial Prepositions in L2: A Corpus-Based Study of i and på. In: Golden, Anne, Scott, Jarvis, Tenfjord, Kari (red.) Crosslinguistic Influence and Distinctive Patterns of Language Learning: Findings and Insights from a Learner Corpus Golden, Multilingual Matters, ISBN 9781783098767, pp. 64-83
- 2015 Hvorfor sitter vi på en sofa? In: NOA - Norsk som andrespråk, vol. 30, nr. 2, pp. 86-105
- 2011 Norweski. Szybki start. (in cooperation with Anna Małkowska). Poznań: SuperMemo World. ISBN 5904617001069
- 2010 A conceptual approach towards the use of prepositional phrases in Norwegian. The case of i and på. In: Folia Scandinavica Posnaniensia vol. 11., pp. 173-183
- 2008 Krasj! Prom! Klask! Noen ord om en bråkete verden. In: Språknytt 2/2008, Oslo: Språkrådet. ISSN 0333-3825