Consonant Clusters in 2-4 Year-olds
The project investigates the acquisition of word initial consonant clusters in 2-4 year old Norwegian-speaking children.
The project is concerned with the acquisition of word initial consonant clusters with and without /s/ in words like smokk 'pacifier', sko 'shoe', grønn 'green', and blå 'blue' in 2-4 year old children acquiring Norwegian.
The project focuses particularly on error patterns. Earlier studies of children's acquisition of consonant clusters in other languages have identified several trends of development in the acquisition of consonant clusters cross-linguistically.
We take a closer look at some of these trends in order to place Norwegian in a larger, cross-linguistic picture. In addition, we make use of articulatory phonology as a tool for a better understanding of the error patterns.
Leader of the project:
- Professor Hanne Gram Simonsen
- Professor Kristian E. Kristoffersen
- Postdoctoral fellow Nina Gram Garmann
- Kristoffersen, Kristian Emil & Simonsen, Hanne Gram 2006. The acquisition of #sC-clusters in Norwegian.
Journal of Multilingual Communication Disorders 4.(3), p. 231-241.
- Yavas, Mehmet; Ben-David, Avivit; Gerrits, Ellen; Kristoffersen, Kristian Emil & Simonsen, Hanne Gram 2008.
Sonority and cross-linguistic acquisition of initial s-clusters. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics 22, p. 421-441.