Fields of expertise
Modern English grammar, text linguistics, phraseology, corpus linguistics, contrastive linguistics, systemic functional linguistics, English as a foreign language, learner corpus research
I teach a range of English language courses at all levels within English grammar, phonetics, systemic-functional linguistics, discourse analysis, contrastive analysis, learner corpus analysis, corpus linguistics and phraseology.
Online teaching resources
Ongoing and recent research projects at ILOS
- Idiomaticity in English and Norwegian: Corpus-based approaches.
- Partner in the international corpus project VESPA (with Signe O. Ebeling) compiling a corpus of English L2 texts within linguistics, literature and business studies.
- Corpus-based exploration of lexical and grammatical features of advanced learner English across disciplines.
- Contrastive studies based on comparable and parallel corpora such as the Oslo Multilingual Corpus.
- Previously I was a member of the (completed) interfacultary project Kunnskap i skolen / Knowledge in Schools within the sub-project "Language in Education".
- I published a monograph on Adjunct adverbials in English in 2010.
- Editor of Languages in Contrast 2002-end 2019
- Member of the editorial board for: Corpora and Language in Use, International Journal of Learner Corpus Research, Languages in Contrast, Contrastive Pragmatics, Oslo Studies in Language – OSLa, Norsk lingvistisk tidsskrift
- Vice President of Learner Corpus Association.
- Former review editor of Functions of Language.
- Previous board member of ICAME (International Corpus Archive of Modern and Medieval English)
- Co-organiser of the 32nd ICAME conference, Oslo, 1-5 June 2011.