My primary academic interests are metaphor and figuration in both their linguistic-discursive and conceptual-cognitive aspects. How do we conceptualize complex and multi-aspectual linguistic phenomena such as language contact, change and classification? What figurations do we commonly use in expressing evaluative stance to specific language phenomena (e.g. borrowings)?
Area specifically, I analyze discourses and language debates in the area of the former Yugoslavia. I examine the ways in which metaphors and figurations are deployed in discursive projects of creating and sustaining ideologies related to the successor languages established after the disintegration of Serbo-Croatian – Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin, and Serbian, with a specific focus on the discursive employment of figurations in the delineation of language borders.
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Metaphor analysis
- Conceptual Metaphor Theory
- Discourse analysis
- Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian
- Cicin-Sain, Visnja (2019). Metaphors for language contact and change: Croatian language and national identity, In Ljiljana Saric & Mateusz-Milan Stanojevic (ed.), Metaphor, Nation and Discourse. John Benjamins Publishing Company. ISBN 9789027202499. Chapter 5. s 127 - 153
- Cicin-Sain, Visnja (2020). Review of Berrocal & Salamurović (2019): Political Discourse in Central, Eastern and Balkan Europe. Journal of Language and Politics. ISSN 1569-2159. 19(5), s 861- 864 . doi: 10.1075/jlp.20008.cic
- Cicin-Sain, Visnja (2019). Metaphors of Language: A Discursive and Experimental Analysis of the Role of Metaphor in the Construction of National Languages: The Case of Croatian and Serbian. Full text in Research Archive. Show summary