Literature across Continents
ILOS is pleased to invite you to a seminar with Ranjan Ghosh, Lene Johannessen and Sumana Roy. Open for all.
Professor Ranjan Ghosh, Professor of English literature at the University of North Bengal, is an internationally leading scholar in literary and cultural studies.Professor Ghosh will give two lectures linked to four of his latest books; each lecture will be followed by questions and discussion
The seminar will also include a discussion of Emerging Aesthetic Imaginaries, edited by Lene Johannessen and Mark Ledbetter (2019). The book will be presented by Lene Johannessen, Professor of American literature at the University of Bergen.
On the second day of the seminar, Indian poet and critic Sumana Roy will give a presentation of her book, How I Became a Tree (2017).
Sumana Roy is a leading young poet from North Bengal, India. In this book, Sumana Roy gives new readings of the works of writers, painters, photographers and poets (Rabindranath Tagore and D. H. Lawrence among them) to show how trees and plants have always fascinated human beings.
Mixing memoir, literary history, nature studies, spiritual philosophies and botanical research, How I Became a Tree prompts readers to think of themselves and the natural world that they are an intrinsic part of, in fresh ways.
Monday 29 April
- 10.15–12.00 Ranjan Ghosh: Trans(in)fusion.
The lecture centres on Ghosh’s trans-trilogy from Routledge (New York)
- Transcultural Poetics and the Concept of the Poet (New York: Routledge, 2017),
- Trans(in)fusion: Manifesto for Critical Thinking (New York: Routledge, forthcoming, 2020),
- Transpoesis: Stopping by Robert Frost (New York: Routledge, forthcoming)
- 12.00–12.45 Lunch 12.45–14.00 Lene Johannessen: Presentation of Emerging Aesthetic Imaginaries, ed. Lene Johannessen and Mark Ledbetter (Lexington Books, 2019), followed by discussion
For free lunch on Monday 29 April, please register
Tuesday 30 April
- 9.15–11.00 Ranjan Ghosh: What is Poetic Philosophy? Linked to Ranjan Ghosh, ed., Philosophy and Literature: Continental Perspectives (New York: Columbia UP, 2019)
- 11.15–12.00 Sumana Roy: Presentation of Sumana Roy, How I Became a Tree