Christopher Ben Wilson
Christopher studies the strategic use of technology in political communication and governance, with an emphasis on emerging technolgoies, digital transformation, multi-stakeholderism and civic participation.
- Government communication strategies surrounding the adoption of emerging technologies and complex social issues (privacy, algorithmic bias, etc)
- The social impacts of using technology for civic engagement public service delivery
- The influence and effectiveness of international normative regimes for civic participation
- The effects of democratic innovations on public trust in government and political efficacy
Christopher defended his doctoral thesis at the University of Oslo in August 2019, with a focus on methods for assessing the influence of global multi-stakeholder intiative and the socialization of technology and particiaption norms in government.
Prior to his doctoral work, Christopher co-founded and led the learning and research activities at The Engine Room (https://theengineroom.org), then an applied research organization focusing on the use of digital tools in advocacy. Christopher also worked as a communications officer in the UNDP Global Program for governance assessments, and has performed as a national researcher for various international initiatives such as the Open Data Barometer and the Open Government Partnership.
Christopher is also a research fellow with the Digital Service Collaborative at Georgetown University’s Beeck Center for Policy Innovation and Social Impact.
Christopher holds a Masters Degree in the Theory and Practice of International Human Rights Law from the University of Oslo Law Faculty and a Bachelors of Arts in Rhetoric and Communication, from the University of California Berkeley.
Select Peer Review:
- Wilson, C. (2020). The socialization of civic participation norms in government ?: Assessing the effect of the Open Government Partnership on countries ’ e-participation ☆. Government Information Quarterly, 101476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.giq.2020.101476
- Wilson, C. (2019). Multi-stakeholder initiatives, policy learning and institutionalization: the surprising failure of open government in Norway. Policy Studies, 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/01442872.2019.1618808
- Wilson, C. (2017). Look Who’s Talking: Assessing Civic Voice and Interaction in OGP Commitments. Journal of E-Democracy and Open Government, 9(2), 4–30. Retrieved from https://jedem.org/index.php/jedem/article/download/453/391
- Wilson, C., & de Lanerolle, I. (2016). Test It and They Might Come: Improving the Uptake of Digital Tools in Transparency and Accountability Initiatives. IDS Bulletin, 41(1), 113–126. https://doi.org/10.19088/1968-2016.110
- Wilson, C. (2014). « Do no harm »: Samtykke og personvern i krise ? (2), 253–262.
- Tufekci, Z., & Wilson, C. (2012). Social Media and the Decision to Participate in Political Protest: Observations From Tahrir Square. Journal of Communication, 62(2), 363–379.
- Wilson, C., & Dunn, A. (2012). Contingency and Hybridity in the Study of Digital Advocacy Networks. International Journal of Information Communication Technologies and Human Development, 4(2), 61–80. https://doi.org/10.4018/jicthd.2012040105
Policy briefs and practical guides:
- Christopher Wilson. (2018). Open data stakeholders: Civil society. In T. Davies, S. B. Walker, M. Rubenstein, & F. Perini (Eds.), The State of Open Data: Histories and Horizons (pp. 355–367). Retrieved from https://www.idrc.ca/en/book/state-open-data-histories-and-horizons
- Wilson, C. (2018). Managing data ethics: A process-based approach for CDOs. In S. Shah & W. D. Eggers (Eds.), The Chief Data Officer in Government: A CDO Playbook (pp. 1–12). Retrieved from https://documents.deloitte.com/insights/CDOplaybook
- Wilson, C., & Rahman, Z. (2015). Citizen‑Generated Data and Governments: Towards a Collaborative Model. Retrieved from http://civicus.org/thedatashift/frontpage-article/citizen-generated-data-and-governments-towards-a-collaborative-model-2/
- engine room. (2014). Measuring impact on-the-go: a user’s guide for monitoring tech and accountability programming. The Engine Room. Retrieved from https://www.theengineroom.org/diy-for-me/
- engine room (2013). TechScape Module Report: Assessing the use of technological tools and strategies seven countries. The Engine Room. Retrieved from https://www.theengineroom.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/engnroom_TSnetworkreport_OxfamNovib_021213.pdf
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2019). Multi-stakeholder initiatives, policy learning and institutionalization: the surprising failure of open government in Norway. Policy Studies. ISSN 0144-2872. s 1- 20 . doi: 10.1080/01442872.2019.1618808
- Wilson, Christopher Ben & Jumbert, Maria Gabrielsen (2018). The new informatics of pandemic response: humanitarian technology, efficiency, and the subtle retreat of national agency. Journal of International Humanitarian Action. ISSN 2364-3412. 3 . doi: 10.1186/s41018-018-0036-5 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2017). Look Who's Talking: Assessing Civic Voice and Interaction in OGP Commitments. eJournal of eDemocracy and Open Government. ISSN 2075-9517. 9(1), s 4- 30 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wilson, Christopher Ben & Indra, de Lanerolle (2016). Test It and They Might Come: Improving the Uptake of Digital Tools in Transparency and Accountability Initiatives. IDS Bulletin. ISSN 0265-5012. 47(1), s 113- 126 . doi: http://bulletin.ids.ac.uk/idsbo/article/view/40 Full text in Research Archive.
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2019). Multi-stakeholder promotion of civic participation: assessing the Open Government Partnership’s influence on national policy.
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2018). Managing data ethics: A process-based approach for CDOs, In William Eggers & Hollie Russon Gilman (ed.), The Chief Data Officer in Government: A CDO Playbook. Deloitte Insights. 8.
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2018). Open data stakeholders: Civil society, In Timothy Davies; Stephen, B. Walker; Mor Rubenstein & Fernando Perini (ed.), The State of Open Data: Histories and Horizons. African Minds. ISBN 9781928331957. 24. s 355 - 367
- Wilson, Christopher Ben (2017). Analytic activism by Karpf. Information, Communication & Society. ISSN 1369-118X. . doi: 10.1080/1369118X.2017.1398266
- Karlsrud, John & Wilson, Christopher Ben (2008). Changing Roles: China, Africa and the Strategic Power of Dialogue. Vreng. Adbuster Magasin. ISSN 1504-0526.
- Hustad, Richard; Andreassen, Bård A. & Wilson, Christopher Ben (2006). Justice and Human Rights Initiative: Report of the Workshop on Developing Justice and Human Rights Indicators.