Academic interests: music aesthetics, music of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, music analysis and critical theory.
Currents activities include the following forthcoming publications:
- ‘Death in Music and Music in Death: Reflections on Mortality and Listening in the Performances of Marino Formenti’ (co-authored with Uta Sailer), in Music & Death, ed. Wolfgang Marx (Woodbridge: Boydell & Brewer)
- ‘Ideology, Performance and Ironic Distance in Musical Slapstick’, in Slapstick. An Interdisciplinary Companion, eds. Alena E. Lyons and Ervin Malakaj (Berlin/New York: Walter de Gruyter).
- ‘Appropriation and style: Critical Composition and Creativity in Le Grand Macabre’, in Le Grand Macabre, ed. Jörn Peter Hiekel, Hofheim: Wolke Verlag.
- ‘Analysing the Concerto for Violin and Orchestra: Apparitions of the Past and Future’, in “I don’t belong anywhere”: György Ligeti at 100, ed. Wolfgang Marx (Turnhout: Brepols Publishers)
Musicology Master’s programme leader from August 2021.
HF studio project group member 2021.
Previous projects include Style and Modernity, funded by the Research Council of Norway, studying modernist aesthetics and concepts of style across a range of musical genres and traditions.
Monograph on György Ligeti’s opera Le Grand Macabre published by Routledge (see below).
Compositions performed by leading musicians in the UK, Norway, and the USA, including performances at festivals and on BBC Radio 3 and NRK. Member of the Norwegian Society of Composers. Professional background as guitarist.
- Head of Department, Department of Musicology, UiO (2017-2020)
- Leader of the National Council of Music (Nasjonalt fagorgan for musikk) and leader of the national publication committee for musicology (2018-2020)
- Head of Studies, Department of Musicology (2017-2020)
- Elected representative for the fixed-term academic staff on the board of the Faculty of Humanities (2015-2016).
- Member of the editorial board of Studia Musicologica Norvegica (Norwegian Journal of Musicology) (2012-16)
- PhD University of Oslo (2012)
- Cand. Philol (MA) University of Oslo (2005)
- Computer-based music production. Norwegian Academy of Music (2002-3)
- Bmus London College of Music, London (1996-99)
- Archival Research: die Academie der Künste, Germany (2011)
- Archival Research: Paul Sacher Foundation, Switzerland (2004, 2010, 2011)
- Visiting Scholar: Royal Holloway, University of London, England (2013)
- Music since 1945 (MUS 2500, 4500)
- Analysis, arranging and composition for large ensembles (MUS 2730)
- Music History I & II (MUS 1450, MUS 2445)
- History, Analysis, Aesthetics (MUS 4216)
- Listening to the Twentieth Century and Beyond (MUS 2501, 4501, autumn 2014)
- Music History (MUS 1445 and 2445)
- ‘Opera Through the Stage Door’, in Collaboration with the Norwegian Opera & Ballet (MUS 2525 and MUS 4525)
- Honors program (Honorsprogrammet) HON 2120
- ‘Ensemble 1’ (MUS1350), ‘Ensemble 2’ (MUS1352),
- EXFAC (‘EXFAC03-MUS)
For more information, please visit my website at: www.peteredwards.no