12th International Conference of Nordic and General Linguistics
The NGL conference series (previously also known as ICNGL) provides an open forum for linguistic research in order to facilitate the exchange of ideas on Nordic (including Germanic, Finnic, Saamic and Greenlandic) and other languages, including multilingualism. Its main goals are to create and strengthen connections between researchers working on different languages, with different methodological and theoretical approaches.
The international conference of Nordic and General Linguistics (NGL) is organised under the auspices of the Nordic Association of Linguists (NAL). This will be the 12th conference, 51 years since the first one, and the third to be organised at the University of Oslo.
Derib Ado (Addis Ababa University)
Kasper Boye (University of Copenhagen)
Ellen Brandner (University of Stuttgart)
Daniel Harbour (Queen Mary, University of London)
Caroline Heycock (University of Edinburgh)
Martin Hilpert (University of Neuchâtel)
Annick De Houwer (University of Erfurt)
Muriel Norde (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
Tomas Riad (Stockholm University)
Workshop proposals and workshop papers
- Call for workshop proposals, submission deadline: 10. November 2019
- Notification of workshop acceptance: 1. December 2019 (followed by opening of the call for the submissions of workshop abstracts)
- Call for abstracts for workshop talks, deadline: 1. February 2020
- Notification of acceptance for workshop talks: 15. March 2020
- Read more about workshops and important dates here.
Main session papers
- Call for abstracts for main session talks, submission deadline: 30. December 2019
- Notification of acceptance for main session talks: 1. March 2020
- Read more about main session papers and important dates here.
Previous NGL conferences
- Reykjavík, July 1969
- Umeå, June 1973
- Austin, Texas, April 1976
- Oslo, June 1980
- Århus, June-July 1983
- Helsinki, August 1986
- Tórshavn, August 1989
- Gothenburg, August 1993
- Oslo, January 1995
- Reykjavík, June 1998
- Freiburg, April 2012
Oslo and linguistics in June 2020
The Norwegian capital is at its most beautiful in mid June, when the days are warm and long and the nights are light and short. The University of Oslo is even more exciting than usual in June 2020 with three international linguistics conferences. It starts with the present 12th international conference of Nordic and General Linguistics (NGL), which is followed by two annual conferences: the 12th International Austronesian and Papuan Languages and Linguistics Conference (APLL12), which is again followed by the 25th International Lexical-Functional Grammar Conference (LFG20). Welcome to Oslo!