Areas of expertise
My current research concerns multilingual and multilectal practices on social media, dialect acquisition and use among migrants, dialect levelling, language attitudes and ideologies, language and embodiment, multiethnolectal speech styles among adolescents in multilingual, urban environments, language advocacy and language policy and planning. My recent publications include Language standardisation: Theory and Practice, special issue of Sociolinguistica 30 (2016), with Sue Wright and Pia Lane (eds.), Multilingual youth practices in Computer Mediated Communication (2018), with Cecelia Cutler (eds.), Migration and Dialect Acquisition in Europe, special issue of Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development (2020), with Peter Auer (eds.). I am one of the chief editors of the new online series at De Gruyter LME Linguistic Minorities in Europe Online. Recently I was involved in language standardization through the comprehensive orthographic revision of the Nynorsk written norm (Nynorsk 2011) and I headed the Norwegian Language Council's Expert Committee that was commissioned to identify the most important challenges for Norwegian language policy in the future Språk i Norge – kultur og infrastruktur (2018) ('Language in Norway – culture and infrastructure').
- Computer Mediated Communication
- Language Policy and Planning
- Language Standardization
- History of the Norwegian Language
- Nynorsk written culture
Ongoing research projects
- New research project financed by the Research Council of Norway (2020-2024): Multilectal Literacy in Education (MultiLit) Øystein A. Vangsnes (PI), HVL/UiT.
- 2013-2023 Center of Excellence: MultiLing Center for Multilingualism in Society Across the Lifespan
- Multilectal Practices on Social Media (MPSM). In collaboration with Øystein A. Vangsnes (UiT The Arctic University of Norway). Start 2020
- Urban Talk and Text Start 2021
Videos about dialects NDLA (Norsk digital læringsarena)
- "Dialektlandet Norge" (Norwegian)
- "Norske Målmerker del 1" (Norwegian)
- "Norske Målmerker del 2" (Norwegian)