African American literature, Theories of temporality, Jazz, 20th C. American literature, Frankfurt school aesthetics, Critical Race Theory
- Racial Violence and American Identity: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/ilos/ENG4422/index.html
- Jazz and African American Literature: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/ilos/ENG4373/v15/index.html
Higher education and employment history
Ph.D. University of California, Irvine. Department of English and Comparative Literature.
B.A. Cornish College of the Arts. Department of Music.
Jazz in the Time of the Novel: The Temporal Politics of American Race and Culture. University of Alabama Press, 2013.
( Winner: 2012 Elizabeth Agee Prize in American Literature )
Trading on Racial Futures: Financial Speculation, the American Novel, and the Construction of a Usable Future.
“Dead Ambitions and Repeated Interruptions: Economies of Race and Temporality in The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man” – Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man at 100, University of Georgia Press, 2017.
"Carolina Shout: James P. Johnson and the Performance of Temporality” - Summer 2010 (33.3), Callaloo
"Prolepsis and Parabasis: Jazz and the Novel" – Summer 2009 (42.2), Novel.
“Between Immanence and Transcendence: Theorizing the Time of a Transformative Politics” - New Essays on the Frankfurt School of Critical Theory. Ed. Alfred Drake. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2008.
“Chronopolitics, Race, and Sublimation: Ragtime and Symphonic Time in James Weldon Johnson’s The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man” – Fall 2006 (40.3), African American Review
- Barnhart, Bruce (2017). "Dead Ambitions and Repeated Interruptions: Economies of Race and Temporality in 'Autobiography of an Ex-Coloured Man'", In Noelle Morissette (ed.), New Perspectives on James Weldon Johnson's "The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man". University of Georgia Press. ISBN 978-0820350974. Chapiter.
- Barnhart, Bruce (2013). Jazz in the Time of the Novel: The Temporal Politics of American Race and Culture. University of Alabama Press. ISBN 978-0-8173-1804-8. 246 s.
- Barnhart, Bruce (2017). "Temporality and Xenophobia: The Trump Administration, Hannah Arendt, and _The Great Gatsby_" - Keynote Presentation.