Guidelines on format and structure
The following structure is recommended for your thesis.
Suggested total number of pages
60 credit thesis: 80-100 pages (approx. 2 300 characters per page, not including spaces.)
30 credit thesis: 40-50 pages (approx. 2 300 characters per page, not including spaces.)
References and appendices are not included in this total.
- Title page
- Summary - max. length one page. (To appear at front or back of thesis.)
- Foreword. Every master's thesis should have a foreword. This should include, among other things, the name of your supervisor. It is good scholarly etiquette to use the foreword to thank people who have contributed to the completion of your master's thesis.
- Table of contents
- Main text
- End notes (if relevant)
- List of sources and bibliography
- Appendices (if relevant)
What is a normal page?
- A written sheet in A4-format, including margins on the left and right side;
- Top margins and bottom margins of at least 2.5 cm;
- The line spacing should be 1.5 with a font size of 12;
- A font no smaller than Times New Roman size 12;
- All pages must be numbered at the bottom of the page, either in the middle or alternating right-left side every other page.
This format is well suited for a two-sided print.
A smaller font may be used in tables, figures, foot notes and the bibliography, as long as the readability is preserved.
- Thesis title
- The UiO logo - the Apollo seal
- Student's full name
- Master's thesis in [course code + title]
- Programme/programme option
- No. of credits (30 or 60)
- Semester and year
- Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies (ILN), University of Oslo