Jan Dariusz Cutajar
- Sustainable practice in conservation;
- Conservation public engagement and outreach;
- Conservation science, including heritage imaging techniques.
Conservation material-related fields:
- Objects conservation;
- Decorative surfaces;
- Furniture and wood conservation;
- Archaeological field conservation;
- Monumental canvas paintings.
JAN DARIUSZ CUTAJAR is a Marie Składowska-Curie Early Stage Researcher within the EU's CHANGE-ITN network, hosted as a doctoral research fellow in Conservation Studies at the Department of Archeology, Conservation and History (IAKH) at the University of Oslo (UiO), Norway. His research project focuses on the imaging-based documentation and change monitoring of novel dry-cleaning methods for Edvard Munch's unvarnished oil paintings at the UiO Aula.
- 2019- (2022): University of Oslo / PhD Research Fellow in Conservation Studies
- 2014-2016: University College London / MSc in Conservation for Archeology & Museums
- 2013-2014: University College London / MA in Principles of Conservation
- 2009-2012: University of Malta, Bishop's University (Quebec) / BSc (Hons) in Chemistry
- 2019- (ongoing): Conservation of Kushite tombs in El Kurru, Sudan in joint project with the University of Michigan and Boston MFA;
- 2017- (ongoing): Lead conservator working with the Institut Francais de l'Archeologie Orientale in Cairo on the PERCEA Bois and EBENES projects focusing on ancient wood conservation.
- 2018-2019: Founder of JD Cutajar Conservation, objects conservation workshop in Amsterdam, Netherlands;
- 2016-2018: Research Assistant to National Trust Advisor on Archaeological Conservation, Dr Dean Sully;
- 2016-2018: Postgraduate Teaching Assistant at UCL's Institute of Archeology;
- 2016-2018: Freelance objects conservator (working principally at NT Knole, UK).
Cutajar, Jan Dariusz; Babini, Agnese; Deborah, Hilda; Hardeberg, Jon Yngve; Joseph, Edith & Frøysaker, Tine (2022). Hyperspectral Imaging Analyses of Cleaning Tests on Edvard Munch's Monumental Aula Paintings. Studies in Conservation. ISSN 0039-3630. doi: 10.1080/00393630.2022.2054617. Full text in Research Archive
Cutajar, Jan Dariusz; Hatchfield, Pamela; Batkin-Hall, Janelle; Bourse, Camille & Mayberger, Evelyn (2021). Conservation and preservation strategies for royal painted tombs in Kurru, Sudan: Acknowledging the past while planning for the future. In Bridgland, Janet (Eds.), Transcending boundaries : Integrated approaches to conservation : ICOM-CC 19th Triennial Conference Preprints, Beijing 17-21 May 2021. International Council of Museums Committee for Conservation (ICOM-CC). ISSN 9782491997144. p. 1–9.