Heidi Østbø Haugen
BROKEX is an interdisciplinary research project funded by a European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant. Heidi Østbø Haugen is the principal investigator (PI). The project will run from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2023.
Chinese global engagements are deepening across sectors and geographic regions. The objective of BROKEX is to fill specific gaps in knowledge about how China’s extraversion advances. The project takes an original approach by examining brokers who mediate in transnational fields. It opens China’s global integration to analysis by moving beyond descriptions of input and output characteristics to elucidate underlying dynamics.The PI and three postdoctoral researchers will carry out ethnographic fieldwork in the Pearl River Delta, South China, that yield complementary information on the common challenge of brokering across geographic scales:1) Connecting low-cost Chinese manufacturing with African markets;2) Integrating Chinese academic research with global scientific communities;3) Attracting new foreign investments to China to underpin industrial upgrading (case study funded through Research Council of Norway project);4) Transnational architecture production.
The cases offer insights into the mechanisms of brokerage across distinctive sectors. We build on the empirical findings and literature to develop brokerage theory. Social scientific research on brokerage commonly uses the morphology of social networks as its starting point, and focuses on how actors positioned at the intersection between groups operate.
I have previously worked for the United Nations World Food Programme in West Africa (2006-2008) and in the Department of Research of the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research (2004-2006).
- Member of The National Committee for Research Ethics in the Social Sciences and the Humanities (NESH (2018-2021)
- Steering group member of the Chinese in Africa/Africans in China Research Network (2011-present)
- Expert evaluator for the European Commission, Horizon 2020 MSCA proposals (RISE and ITN) (2017-present)
- Board member, Board of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Oslo (2016)
- Deputy Board member, Board of the University of Oslo (2014-2015)
- Organizing committe member of the Third Chinese in Africa/Africans in China Research Conference, Jinan University, Guangzhou, December 12-14, 2014.
- Board member, the Nordic Association for China Studies (2011-2013)
- President, the Nordic Association for China Studies (2009-2011)
- Main organizer of the conference China: Transactions and transformations, Oslo June 17-19, 2011.