Writing a paper in English corpus linguistics
A term paper ('semesteroppgave') is an exercise in linguistic method. The object is to show that you can:
- define a research question
- account for your choice of theory and method
- select and analyse a limited material
- conduct a theoretical discussion of linguistic problems in English
- use secondary sources in a critical way
This document will guide you in the process of choosing a topic, using sources, and investigating your topic. There is also some advice on the writing itself, such as how to support your statements using evidence from both primary and secondary sources, and how to organize the paper.