Stine Hulleberg Johansen
Language is more than just a means of sharing information. It is also a way of building and strengthening interpersonal relationships. My main research interest is in language as a tool in this respect. In my PhD project, I will look at hedging strategies in a English Norwegian cross-cultural perspective. I will look at how native speakers of Norwegian, native speakers of English and Norwegian learners of English use hedging strategies to lessen the impact of their utterances on their interlocutors. As hedging successfully requires a high degree of communicative competence even in one’s own mother tongue, it can be challenging for language learners to use hedging strategies successfully in a foreign language.
My project is a part of the Idiomaticity in English and Norwegian at the Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages.
I have a BA and MA in English language from the University of Oslo. My MA thesis was about politeness in a cross-cultural perspective. I also have a Bachelor of Management from the Norwegian Business School with focus on general project management and project management of research and innovation projects funded by the European Commission in particular.
Prior to starting as a PhD fellow at the University of Oslo, I worked as a senior adviser / EU adviser at Oslo University College of Applied Sciences (HiOA). I have also worked as a project coordinator at Consumption Research Norway (SIFO) and as a project manager at Amesto Translations AS.
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2020). A Contrastive Approach to the Types of Hedging Strategies Used in Norwegian and English Informal Spoken Conversations. Contrastive Pragmatics: A Cross-Disciplinary Journal (JOCP). ISSN 2666-0385. s 1- 25 . doi: 10.1163/26660393-12340006 Full text in Research Archive.
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2020). Hedging in spoken conversations by Norwegian learners of English. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology (NJMLM). ISSN 1894-2245. 8(2), s 27- 48 . doi: https://doi.org/10.46364/njmlm.v8i2.751 Full text in Research Archive.
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2020). “I guess anyone would do that wouldn’t they?” How do native speakers of Norwegian and English hedge in informal conversations?. Languages in Contrast: International Journal for Contrastive Linguistics. ISSN 1387-6759. . doi: http://doi.org/10.1075/lic.19025.joh
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2019). Exploring the Use of Probes in a Corpus Pragmatic Study of Hedging Strategies. Nordic Journal of English Studies (NJES). ISSN 1502-7694. 18(1), s 121- 148 . doi: 10.35360/njes.493 Full text in Research Archive.
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2021). Forsøpler vi språket med uttrykk som «på en måte»?. Forskning.no. ISSN 1891-635X.
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2020). “I just need to like see what I can do” – A contrastive study of hedging strategies in English and Norwegian informal spoken conversations. Show summary
- Johansen, Stine Hulleberg (2018). Det er egentlig ikke typisk norsk å være god i engelsk. Forskning.no. ISSN 1891-635X.