The Institute offers
Convenient and quiet offices
- Four offices for single use
- Two shared offices
- Docking stations in most offices (compatible with UiO laptops)
- Printer, scanning and photocopying facilities
- Access to reading room and library collections daily 07:00 – 21:45
- Researchers and students from collaborating institutions have priority, and may use offices free of charge. Researchers from other institutions will be charged NOK 100 per day for office space.
- Please send your application with a CV and research plan to the Head of the Administration, Anne Nicolaysen
- Remember to fill out the relevant forms at your university to register your travel abroad before departure.
Conference- and meeting rooms
- Aula 1 on the ground floor, fits 12–60 people
- Aula 2 on the 3rd floor, fits 6–12 people
- Small meeting room on the top floor, fits 2–6 people
- Reception room, terraces and garden for social gatherings
Grant for young researchers
- Around NOK 12 000 for a four weeks research stay in Rome
- Deadlines: 15 May and 15 October
- Read more about the research grant (in Norwegian)
The Institute has its own library and reading room specialized in archaeology and art history in Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages.
More about our library
Administrative support and facilitation of the stay
- Letters of introduction and special admittance to sites
- Practical information and facilitation
- Catering to meeting/conferences/workshops
- Extended access to the library and library services
The Norwegian Institute is open all working days from 09:00 to 17:00 most of the year, while it closes at 15:00 in the summer months (from 15th May to 15th September).
Students and researchers from partner institutions may access the Institute all days, weekends and holidays included from 8 o'clock in the morning until 21:45 in the evening.
Seminars and conferences not organised by the Institute may access and use meeting room and other facilites during regular working hours only.