• Italy and Europe between c.750 and c.1050
• Latin Palaeography and Diplomatics
• Bishops and secular clergy in Early Medieval Europe
• Canon Law in the Early Middle Ages
I am a researcher of Early Medieval Italy and Europe with a particular interest in Latin Palaeography and Diplomatics. I joined the University of Oslo in April 2022 to work as a Senior Researcher in Medieval Studies for the ERC project MINiTEXTS led by Professor Ildar Garipzanov.
- 2015- 2019 PhD in History, University of Nottingham
Thesis title: Politics and Documentary Culture. The Bishops of North-Western Italy
during the post-Carolingian Period (ca. 888-962)
Supervisors: Prof. Ross Balzaretti & Dr Claire Taylor
Examiners: Prof. Simon MacLean & Dr Peter Darby (examined and awarded in 2020)
- 2014-2015 Diploma in Manuscript Studies, Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies (Toronto-Rome)
- 2013-2015 MA (Res) in Historical Sciences, University of Milan
- 2011-2013 Diploma in Archival Studies, Palaeography and Diplomatics, State Archives of Milan
- 2009-2012 BA in History, University of Milan
- DAAD Short-Term Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Stuttgart (2021-2022)
- PhD Scholarship, John Robinson PhD Studentship in History (3-year research grant), University of Nottingham (2015-2018)
- Mellon Fellowship (Toronto-Rome), PIMS (2014-2015)
- DAAD Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Stuttgart (2021-2022)
- Honorary Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Nottingham (2021-)
- Teaching Affiliate, University of Nottingham (2017-2020)
- ‘Episcopal Diplomacy at the Turn of the First Millennium. Archbishop Arnulf II
between the Reigns of Otto III and Henry II’, in P. Coss et al., Bishops as Diplomats, 1000-1400, Brepols, Forthcoming 2023.
- ‘The Archbishops of Milan and their Ecclesiastical Province between Tenth and
Eleventh Century’, in E. Di Natale - H. Buchinger - A. Dietl (eds.), Zwischen Rom und Mailand: Liturgische Kircheneinrichtung im Mittelalter. Historische Kontexte und interdisziplinäre Perspektiven, Schnell & Steiner, Forthcoming 2022.
- ‘Legal culture across the Alps during the post-Carolingian period’, in G. Albini - L.
Mecella (eds.), Un ponte tra il Mediterraneo e il Nord-Europa. La Lombardia nel primo millennio, Pearson-Mondadori 2021, pp. 251-269.
Available at: https://riviste.unimi.it/index.php/SSMD/article/view/15768.
- ‘Giuseppe Martini: l’itinerario di uno storico. Alcune note’, with Giorgio Chittolini, in
I. Lori Sanfilippo and M. Miglio (eds.), La Scuola Storica Nazionale e la Medievistica: momenti e figure del Novecento, Rome 2015, pp. 57-79.
Cristin returned 'not found'