My work focusses on ethical questions related to medicine, innovation and the life-sciences. My PhD thesis was an analysis of the ethical and legal implications of artificial gametes (sperm and eggs manufactured in the laboratory). I have published widely on this topic, and on many related issues in reproductive ethics. I also have broader interests in a variety of bioethical topics, including morality and nature, and human relationships with animals and plants.
I studied philosophy for my first degree, at Edinburgh University. It was here that I first became interested in questions about the interaction between philosophy, science and ethics. I got my PhD from Imperial College, London. Prior to coming to UiO, I was lecturer in ethics at the University of East Anglia (UK).
- Smajdor, Anna Colette (2018). Means, ends, and the fetal patient, In Dagmar Schmitz; Angus Clarke & Wybo Dondorp (ed.), The Fetus as a Patient. Routledge. ISBN 9781351692786. Chapter.
- Smajdor, Anna Colette (2018). Your sperm is mine! Do artificial gametes change the ethics of posthumous sperm retrieval and conception?. Etica & Politica / Ethics & Politics. ISSN 1825-5167. 20(3), s 53- 72 . doi: 10.13137/1825-5167/22585
- Smajdor, Anna Colette & Cutas, Daniela (2018). Reproductive technologies and the family in the twenty-first century, In Simona Giordano; John Harris & Lucio Piccirillo (ed.), The freedom of scientific research. Manchester University Press. ISBN 9781526127686. Chapter. s 57 - 70
- Smajdor, Anna Colette; Cutas, Daniela & Takala, Tuija (2018). Artificial gametes, the unnatural and the artefactual. Journal of Medical Ethics. ISSN 0306-6800. 44(6), s 404- 408 . doi: 10.1136/medethics-2017-104351
- Smajdor, Anna Colette; Frith, Lucy; Hooper, Carwyn; Camporesi, Silvia; Douglas, Thomas A.; Nottingham, Emma; Fritz, Zoe; Ekberg, Merryn & Huxtable, Richard (2018). Institute of Medical Ethics Guidelines for confirmation of appointment, promotion and recognition of UK bioethics and medical ethics researchers. Journal of Medical Ethics. ISSN 0306-6800. 44(5), s 289- 291 . doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/medethics-2018-104816
- Cutas, Daniela & Smajdor, Anna Colette (2017). The moral status of the (nuclear) family. Etikk i praksis. ISSN 1890-3991. 11(1), s 5- 15 . doi: 10.5324/eip.v11i1.2250
- Smajdor, Anna Colette & Stockl, Andrea (2017). PMDs and the Moral Specialness of Medicine: An Analysis of the ‘Keepsake Ultrasound’, In Conor Farrington & Rebecca Lynch (ed.), Quantified Lives and Vital Data - Exploring Health and Technology through Personal Medical Devices. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-349-95234-2. Chapter. s 155 - 178
- Smajdor, Anna Colette & Cutas, Daniela (2016). “I am Your Mother and Your Father!” In Vitro Derived Gametes and the Ethics of Solo Reproduction. Health Care Analysis. ISSN 1065-3058. Full text in Research Archive.
- Bøhn, Einar Duenger; Smajdor, Anna Colette & Jensenius, Alexander Refsum (2018). Humaniora og teknologi.
- Smajdor, Anna Colette; Cutas, Daniela & Hens, Kristien (2017). Procreative Procrastination: The Ethics of Postponed Parenthood, In Dominic Stoop (ed.), Preventing Age Related Fertility Loss. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-14857-1. Chapter.
- Smajdor, Anna Colette & Stockl, Andrea (2017). The MMR debate in the United Kingdom: vaccine scares, statesmanship and the media, In Christine Holmberg; Stuart Blume & Paul Greenough (ed.), The politics of vaccination A global history. Manchester University Press. ISBN 978-1-5261-1093-0. Chapter.