Kristin Soraya Batmanghelichi
Dr. Batmanghelichi is on research leave January to August 2021.
Iranian studies; Gender and Sexuality; Women's Movements; Cyberactivism and Counterpublics; Political Islam; Politics of class, sex, and race; Postcolonial and Feminist Theory; Subaltern Studies
Higher education and employment history
Dr. Kristin Soraya Batmanghelichi is a women's activist and feminist scholar. In 2013, she earned a PhD in Iranian Studies from the Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian and African Studies at Columbia University in New York City, where she also completed two Master's degrees in Human Rights and Middle Eastern Studies in 2004 and 2007, respectively. In New York, she is an Associate Faculty-at-large at the Brooklyn Institute for Social Research, where she teaches on feminism and empire, sexuality, Gayatri Spivak's corpus, and political Islam. Before arriving to Oslo, from 2016-2017 she was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Institute of Religion, Culture and Public Life (IRCPL) at Columbia University, where she was affiliated as Senior Research Scholar until 2019. From 2014-2016, she held a visiting lectureship at Leiden University Institute for Area Studies in the Netherlands and has previously taught for the WEB DuBois Scholar's Institute at Princeton University. She has also interned at UNIFEM, The Economist Intelligence Unit, and other NGOs in New York and Tehran.
Her research focuses on contemporary women's movements, sexuality, and gendered public space in Iran and the modern Middle East. She has co-organized and managed two international conference series on populism and pluralism (2017-2019) that took place in Amman, Tunis, Paris, and New York with the IRCPL and the University of Groningen. She has presented her work at many conferences in the United States, Europe and the Middle East. Recent publications on sexuality, government morality, cyberfeminism, and women's activism in Iran can be found in the Journal of Anthropology of the Middle East, Gender and sexualities in Muslim Cultures, Feminist Media Histories Journal, and the Journal of the Society for Contemporary Thought and the Islamicate World. Her monograph Revolutionary Bodies: Technologies of Gender, Sex, and Self in Contemporary Iran was published by Bloomsbury in December 2020.
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
President's Global Innovation Fund 2017, "Religion & the Rise of Populisms: Difference, Dissent, and Tolerance," Institute for Religion, Culture and Public Life, Columbia University
Whiting Foundation Dissertation Fellowship 2011-2012 http://www.whiting.org/humanities/fellows
Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Science Jackson Fellowship 2008-09
US Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies Summer Fellowship 2006
Columbia University, Middle East, South Asian, and African Studies Department Summer Travel & Research Fellowship 2005, 2007-11
Houtan Foundation Scholarship 2005
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2017). A Letter to Foucault: Selectively Narrating the Stories of Secular Iranian Feminists. SCTIW review. ISSN 2374-9288.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2017). Cyberfeminism, Iranian Style Online Feminism in Post-2009 Iran. Feminist Media Histories. ISSN 2373-7492. . doi: 10.1525/fmh.2017.3.1.50
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2015). Red Lights in Parks: A Social History of Park-e Razi. OIS. ISSN 2194-3400.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2015). Women and Sexuality in Contemporary Iran: When HIV Meets Government Morality. Anthropology of the Middle East. ISSN 1746-0719. 9(2) . doi: 10.3167/ame.2014.090208
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2020). Revolutionary Bodies: Technologies of Gender, Sex, and Self in Contemporary Iran. Bloomsbury Academic. ISBN 9781350050037. 256 s.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2015). Can the Secular Iranian Women’s Activist Speak?: Caught between Political Power and the ‘Islamic Feminist’” in Gender and Sexuality in Muslim Cultures. Ashgate Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1472414526. 392 s.
- Alavi, Samad & Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2021). Persisk: del.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2021). Persisk: del.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya; Al Daghistani, Sami & Bajalia, Audi George (2021). Pluralism in Emergenc(i)es in the Middle East and North Africa. Review of Middle East Studies. ISSN 2151-3481. 54(2) Show summary
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2019). Iran’s Women Are Not for Turning, Bloomberg.com.
- Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (red.) (2008). The Holy Quran’s Attitude towards Women’s Presence in the History of the Prophets.