I am a Marie Curie fellow at the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies, and I lead the project Language switching and script mixing: multilingual landscapes of medieval Scandinavia.
Background and academic interests
I received my PhD in Scandinavian languages from Uppsala University in 2018 with a specialization in historical linguistics and runology. My research interests also include Scandinavian philology, historical sociolinguistics, multilingualism and multiscriptality.
One of my main research interests concerns the development of historical writing systems, and the relationship between graphemic and phonological variation and change, both from a structural and sociolinguistic perspective. In my dissertation, "Changing writing systems: a graphematic and palaeographic study of the Swedish medieval runic inscriptions", I studied the changes that the runic writing system went through during the Middle Ages in Sweden, when the runic tradition came in contact with the Latin written culture. After the Viking Age, the runic alphabet was still in use in many regions of Sweden, but it was significantly expanded: new runes were created at the same time as some of the older ones were retained but with different sound values. This implied that old spelling practices and writing conventions changed substantially. My research resulted in a deeper knowledge of these changes' chronology, of different local writing traditions, and of the developments that written and spoken Old Swedish went through during the 12th and 13th century.
During my PhD, I also collaborated as a doctoral fellow in the project "Runic Writing in the Germanic Languages" at the Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities, and in the project "Reading and interpreting runic inscriptions: the theory and method of runology" at the Centre for Advanced Study at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. I am also affiliated to the project Modes of Modification.
Previously, I have held courses in runology and Swedish as a foreign language at Uppsala University, as well as guest lectures and seminars at Ca' Foscari University of Venice and at L'Orientale University of Naples.
- Palumbo, Alessandro (in press): Skriftsystem i förändring: en grafematisk studie av de svenska medeltida runinskrifterna. (Runrön 23.) Uppsala: Institutionen för nordiska språk, Uppsala universitet.
- Blennow, Anna & Palumbo, Alessandro (in press): At the crossroads between script cultures: the runic and Latin epigraphic areas of Västergötland. In Anna Catharina Horn & Karl G. Johansson (ed.), The Meaning of Media. Medieval Scandinavian Text Culture from Epigraphy to Typography. (Modes of Modification 1.) Berlin: de Gruyter.
- Palumbo, Alessandro & Harjula, Janne (in press): Material and Written Culture in Medieval Turku: Runic Inscriptions on Stave Vessels. In Kendra Willson (ed.), Runes in Finland. (Runrön.) Uppsala: Institutionen för nordiska språk, Uppsala universitet.
- Palumbo, Alessandro (in press): Same script, different rules? On the alleged different spelling of names compared to other words in runic inscriptions. In Maria Löfdahl, Michelle Waldispühl & Lena Wenner (ed.), Namn i skrift - Names in Writing. (Meijerbergs arkiv för svensk ordforskning.) Göteborg: Meijerbergs institut.
- Palumbo, Alessandro (in press): How Latin is runic Latin? Thoughts on the influence of Latin writing on medieval runic orthography. In Edith Marold & Christiane Zimmermann (ed.), Vergleichende Studien zur runischen Graphematik: Methodische Ansätze und digitale Umsetzung. (Runrön.) Uppsala: Institutionen för nordiska språk, Uppsala universitet.
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2016). Among Demons and Ave Marias: Runes and the Supernatural on Swedish Amulets. Annali - Istituto Universitario Orientale. Sezione Gemanica. ISSN 1124-3724. 26(1-2), s 85- 102
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2014). Ett fragment av Barlaams saga ok Josaphats: Diplomatarisk utgåva av AM 231 VII fol. med en paleografisk och ortografisk undersökning. Annali - Istituto Universitario Orientale. Sezione Gemanica. ISSN 1124-3724. 24(1-2), s 271- 294
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2020). Review of Lisbeth M. Imer. Peasants and Prayers: The Inscriptions of Norse Greenland. Copenhagen: University Press of Southern Denmark, 2017.. Futhark: International Journal of Runic Studies. ISSN 1892-0950. 9-10, s 287- 294 . doi: 10.33063/diva-402191
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2018). Skriftsystem i förändring: en grafematisk och paleografisk studie av de svenska medeltida runinskrifterna.
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2015). Recension av Carla Cucina 2013 “Libri runici del computo: Il calendario di Bologna e i suoi analoghi europei”. Futhark: International Journal of Runic Studies. ISSN 1892-0950. 5, s 199- 206
- Palumbo, Alessandro (2012). Gutarunor: studie i runformernas bruk och utveckling på Gotland under medeltiden och reformationstiden.