Submission of Master´s Thesis
Guidelines for submission of a master´s thesis at the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies (ILN)
Uploading to DUO (via Studentweb)
You must upload your Master's thesis to DUO – Digital Publications at UiO before submitting your printed copies to the department. Please follow the user's guide to submitting a Master's thesis in DUO.
Printing at the University Print Centre ('Reprosentralen')
All master's students are entitled to have their thesis printed free of charge at the University Print Centre, subject to any restrictions provided for by prevailing departmental rules. The procedure is as follows:
- At least one week before the deadline for submission, email your student advisor to request the codes you need to have you thesis printed through web to print.
- Once you have received the codes, you may order your printed copies at any time. You are responsible for placing the actual order. Before you order you should get familiar with University Print Centre guidelines for printing of thesis.
- ILN will pay for the printing of 8 copies of your thesis. 3 copies are for submission to ILN. The remaining 5 copies are for you to keep. If you have two supervisors, you will have to submit 4 copies to ILN.
- If you want to request extra copies that are not covered by ILN's guidelines (e.g., more than one colour page or additional copies), you can make an agreement with the University Print Centre and pay the additional cost yourself.
- NB! The University Print Centre requires 3 to 4 working days to print your thesis. You are responsible for placing the order and for collecting the printed copies from the University Print Centre. Make sure you place your order in good time and at the very latest 4 working days before the submission deadline.
Handing in your thesis
You must hand in 3 printed copies of your master's thesis to ILN. The copies must either be delivered to reception during opening hours (Monday-Friday 12:30-3:00 pm) or handed personally to your student advisor by 3 pm.
Your thesis must be accompanied by the form for completed Master's degree and a printout of the email receipt from DUO (which is sent to you after you have uploaded your thesis).
The department will not accept theses that are not accompanied by the form for completed Master's degree as well as the email receipt from DUO.
Restricting access to you Master`s thesis
In certain cases, if a thesis is subject to restrictions it will not be available online. The extent to which access is restricted will depend on whether the restriction is in place due to a statutory duty of confidentiality or for other reasons.
Any restrictions that you wish to place on access to your thesis must be authorised in advance by ILN (consult your student advisor).
You will also have an option, when uploading your thesis to DUO, to prevent electronic access to your thesis. If you select this option only the summary will be accessible online. In either case (i.e., your thesis is subject to a formal restriction or you have opted to prevent electronic access), you must submit the full version of your thesis.
Please read information about restricting access in DUO at University of Oslo Library`pages.
Deadlines for submission
The final deadline for handing in your Master's thesis:
- 60 credits: 15th of November / 15th of May
- 30 credits: 15th of December / 1st of June
The thesis must be handed in to the department between 12.30 and 15.00 pm. If the deadline for submission falls on a public holiday, the deadline will be postponed to the next working day.
The department will not accept master`s thesis handed in after the deadline for submission in the current semester, unless there is an agreement with your student advisor. Please read the Examinations office pages about what happens if you are ill.